Cast Iron Gutter Jointing

I have cleaned and painted the guttering, and got new bolts to join them with, but what gooey stuff shall I use in the joints?

If it was something that set hard then it could make it very difficult to disassemble them for painting in ten years time.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Car wise, Hermetite (the red version) was always sold as a non-setting jointing compound. Having said that, I am almost sure that I have seen rubber strips inserted between the two cast iron gutter lungths. That would only work though if both faces were smooth.

Reply to
Tinkerer

Plumber's Mate?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I *sure* there is some sort of jointing mastic available for this.

Here:

think even Wickes stock it or something like it...

And this might be another option:

Tim Watts

Google for 'lead or gutter seal'.

e.g.

David WE Roberts

On an aside, anyone else noticed that other peoples' problems always seem easy to solve compared to one's own?

A number of things here leave me thinking: "that's easy" (perhaps because I've done it or seen it done before). And yet, I walk upstairs to fix some more woodwork, start pondering on another job up there that, to me, seems so fraught with difficulties and evils that I want to top myself! (and I'm speaking of my insulation issues in particular, but even doing the bog pipe boxing in seems hard right now!)

I don't think my issues are fundamentally hard - just seems so...

Reply to
Tim Watts

IIRC, 'twas originally putty. Which lasted a good few years. Certainly outlived this PVC rubbish used today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are lots of easy answers, but I've got to live with the solution I choose, will it start dripping in a year? will it be easy to disassemble in 5 years up a ladder.

yes Everbuild Roof & Gutter Sealant Black 310ml seems a good solution, it won't set hard....

Roof and Gutter Sealant is a bitumen based mastic providing an effective seal between all roofing materials. Cartridge applied.

BENEFITS

- Incorporates polymer additives to improve adhesion

- Can be applied in wet conditions, even under heavy rain

- Semi-drying  remains permanently elastic beneath surface skin

- High solids formulation  excellent gap filling properties without shrinkage

- Excellent external weathering properties

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Yeah. I'm interested in the in your result 'cos I have some ali guttering that needs the same treatment (pulled off, repainted, refitted so it isn't falling off unlike now). I'll probably be using whatever you rate :)

It seems to be the one that shows up the most, suggesting its fairly ubiquitous - and Everbuild aren't bad IME.

Reply to
Tim Watts