OT: VE day warplanes

Depends what you call "risky". Some manoevours are risky for the pilot, (though perhaps not as much as you think), but they do not present a danger to others.

Reply to
Cynic

Yes, usually the first time they are treated. How do you expect a database to pick that up?

You started it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Maybe. But definitely not mandatory. I'd be interested in what parameters it monitors.

Reply to
Cynic

You don't mean parallax, as the observation point is not moving.

parallax n : the apparent displacement of an object as seen from two different points that are not on a line with the object

You don't know the terrain around here. We frequently look down on to the Chinnoks and Hercy Birds a couple of hundred feet below in the valley. The two helos I mentioned earlier I first saw looking down out of the living room window. I have also looked down on a fast jets. It is just a little unnerving when you spot a fast jet coming towards you and it is lower than you. I've seen them fly past at the same level, you know if you are looking up or down and I know what our level is on the other side of the valley. No need to reference to the building.

And anyway it's not AGL that matters as it is an MSD to anything remotely hard, like our chimney pots.

21.8 deg. Tan = Opposite/Adjacent. Opposite = 30 - 6 = 24. Adjacent = 60

Make that 264' + 6'.

At 150yds beyound the roof line he's down to 204' + 6', assuming dead flat ground a very bad assumption.

But not parallax. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Untrue. Pileups can kill many people. The chance of an aircraft crashing into a crowded area is no more than the chance of a car driver crashing into a scool playground or similar.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. How many aircraft accidents have caused such a catastophe?

You are saying that *all* private car journies are necessary? Not sure what you mean by stating that IYO flying should be conducted only over private land. Your house is private land.

Reply to
Cynic

And the chances of a computer glitch messing up or leaving inaccessible the information on the bracelet is rather lower than it happening to a national database linked to ID cards.

Reply to
Depresion

Large databases are normally only 80-90% accurate with government based ones often falling to 70% still think it's a good idea to trust a system like this with your life?

Reply to
Depresion

In hindsight coming down from the trees was probably a mistake.

Reply to
Depresion

Yep, play football, race horses or hold your own birthday parties but don't do it on my land seems to be fair to me.

Reply to
Depresion

It is done for a reason, but it carries a risk. Fine in a military scenario, not so great above my house on a Sunday afternoon.

Reply to
anon

No. How much?....

Reply to
tony sayer

That definition doesn't mention the viewpoint moving, and in fact it serves to strengthen my point....

The two viewpoints can be taken as someone stood at ground level, viewing the aircraft behind a building, and someone who's eye level is

24 feet higher, in a line with the rooftops....

To one person, the aircraft will appear at rooftop level, while to the other person, the same aircraft will appear signifigantly higher than roof level...

I think you'll find if you re-read the definition of Parallax, that this situation fits it perfectly...It doesn't require any movement, just 2 different viewpoints....

Oh, I know....Whats even more unnerving, is when you're stood in the middle of a military bombing range clearing up the spent shells, when a

4-ship of American F-15's who all think they're John Wayne decide to come in for an unauthorised attack run.... Those things make a terrifying noise when theyre on their final approach to kill you, and they present an image that I'll take with me to my grave....Terrifying....

Oops, looks like my maths was out....It still demonstrates the point though...

Reply to
Fat Sam

Presumably you also object to the annual flaypast by modern RAF aircraft over London?

Reply to
Brimstone

No problem, the Yanks are on our side. Aren't they?

Reply to
Brimstone

Which afternoon would you prefer they did it then?

Reply to
Brimstone

That is debatable. In WW2 they milked the UK dry. And then claimed they saved us from speaking German, which is total rubbish as the Germans declared war on them.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I was always disappointed that I took up travelling a bit late in life to fly a 707. Then when I went to Zim in 1997 Air Zimbabwe were flying one from Harare to Bulawayo. My slight puzzlement as to why a transatlantic jet was being used for a 30 minute hop was later answered by being told that the aircraft had allegedly failed its airworthiness inspection so could not be used outside the country. Apparently a couple of weeks after I went on it the pilots refused to fly it any more. But it seemed OK to me.

While there a newspaper letter commented on AirZim carrying an advert from a coffin maker in their in-flight magazine, suggesting that this was less than encouraging to passengers. However, the writer went on, the fact that a Harare undertaker was advertising on bus stops was more than understandable given the standard of vehicles and driving!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In article , Tony Bryer writes

I remember flying from the Gambia some years ago how that 707 managed to clear the road at the end of the runway defied belief!. Had there been an artic or similar there, the roof would have been of that and we, well would have been elsewhere.

Reply to
tony sayer

Almost the entire rulebook is designed so that there is a limit to what you can do by simply throwing money at it, and to make driver skill important.

Otherwise, you end up with the team with the largest amount of cash winning races by a couple of laps, with the same driver winning all the time.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

And an excellent example of why pilots are kind of handy, is in the case of the airliner, after suffering a turbine failure that shredded all the control lines, leaving no control at all other than engine power, was sort-of safely landed at an airport hundreds of miles away from the initial problem. Sort-of, as in most people lived, rather than everybody died.

Reply to
Ian Stirling