[OT] Varifocal glasses

Yeah, that's what I do. I wear the prescription that works best for the computer screens most of the time and accept the fact that they aren't ideal for reading signs at a distance when out and about. The sunnies have the prescription that allows me to read signs at a distance. I wear nothing when pulling things to bits and reading physical books. I will likely get some dedicated reading glasses just because the books are getting a bit close to my face to be very convenient now.

I do find that I can read ebooks on the iphone fine with the computer glasses in the waiting room etc and had the stupid optometrist proclaim that that wasn?t possible even after he had got me from his waiting room with me doing that in front of him.

And that approach allows me to have the 3 different glasses for peanuts. Leaves the stupid price for varifocals for dead and no farting around with getting the physical detail right either.

The only real time it's a bit less than idea is when I am putting the serial numbers and stuff like that into the database, I do swap between the computer glasses and nothing a bit.

Reply to
john james

I haven't seen that at all and didn't get a new prescription due to the cataracts. I was quite clear why he couldn't work out what the new prescription should be, the previous problem with working out which was the best lens had got quite dramatically worse the last time and he just gave up.

I've since had the GP made snide remarks about the entire cataract 'industry' and since the only symptom I have actually seen myself is the problem with actually saying which lens works best, I have decided to see how it all pans out.

The optometrist was pretty aggressive about getting cataract surgery done and that put me off for that reason alone.

I've since had a 3 people I know quite well tell me that they have had no regrets about having theirs done, so it remains to be seen what I will do myself. I've always been very conservative about stuff like that that is irreversible.

Yeah, me too, apart from actually getting a new prescription.

It is clear that I can't read street signs as well as I used to be able to, but I always did get that effect when I needed an updated prescription. I'll probably get another eye test with the opposition and see what that produces.

I'm VERY sceptical about the one who proclaimed that I couldn't possible read ebooks on my iphone with my current prescription when that fool saw me doing that in his own waiting room.

Yeah, one of my mates that did get cataract surgery was getting real problems that saw him borrow other people's glasses to see if they helped. I don't get anything like that myself.

Reply to
john james

Until I met my current optician I had two or three failures with vari-focal s and insisted on having them corrected. Too much money involved to put up with something that doesn't work correctly. The problem I was experiencing was their unsuitability for use with a desk top computer. OK for reading an d distance but no good for the computer.

I often wake during the night and read for 30 minutes. I was having great d ifficulty with both Kindle and printed material so I got a pair of reading only glasses which solved the problem

Reply to
fred

It is if they have pads, you bend them in to raise the lenses. YMMV depending on the shape of your nose.

Reply to
dennis

whne I got my first pair (about 30 years ago), I had terrible difficulties and kept being told that I just needed time to get used to them. I amaged to make some measurements that showed that the optical centres were different for each eye and complained to the company head office. I got a pair that worked properly after and I think the branch manager got a severe ticking off.

Reply to
charles

I prefer to have my glasses level.

Reply to
charles

Well, my late father had great problems with his, much as you describe. He was told that his eyes muscles needed time to get used to using different adjustments to those used before. However they also told him that it was the reduced travel of the focussing arrangement in the eye that caused the lack of focus that the glasses were supposed to fix. I think he ended upwith three pairs of glasses instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

At least one of the high street chains offers it

true

Reply to
tim.....

I tried varifocals once and just could not use them for driving because I found there was no peripheral vision. In fact even as a pedestrian, I felt vulnerable crossing the road. Having to turn one's head all the time is just not good enough.

Reply to
DJC

Growing up I always associated bifocals with 'old people.' As a result, I

*refuse* point-blank to wear them. I have separate glasses for distance (driving etc) and for intermediate distances (computer screen, basically).
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

So you're one of these people who can never find their glasses because you have several pairs and you take them off and dob them down anywhere. Just like any ordinary doddering old fossil, then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

[Snip]

How do you read the instrument panel eg speedometer?

Reply to
charles

I've had them for a decade or so and I adapted instantly. As accomodation fails further (I am now 66) the prescription becomes more important. Some prescribers are better than others. I now use varifocals for normal life, but single focus for the desktop computer (working distance about 33 inches).

I find it helps to discuss requirements carefully. If anything, life is getting more difficult because we now use smartphones, tablets, laptops, and desktops all of which have different distances and viewing angles (and default displays in tiny fonts). I usually take my glasses off for the phone and tablet, but I find the laptop with its more downward viewing angle is ok with my varifocals.

I usually look out for "second pair free" offers since I normally get two pairs at a time.

Reply to
newshound

They were forced on me once (safety glasses for work) and they were a total disaster.

Reply to
newshound

I'm generally very happy with Specsavers, but the "sales" girls don't have a clue about this either.

The first increment or two is for higher index plastic, giving you thinner and lighter lenses. Less important for the current fashion of small lenses, though presumably big ones will be coming back some time soon.

The final one, I think, is for aspheric lenses which give less distortion in peripheral vision. Personally I have never found this to be a problem.

Reply to
newshound

My father's short sight improved in his 60's, as has mine.

Don't panic, cataract treatment is normally quick, safe, and effective.

Reply to
newshound

I have had exactly the same experience, although the initial diagnosis was more like 10 years ago and I was signed off by the hospital again after ~ 2 years. The opticians don't volunteer any info, if I ask they say they can see signs but not enough to worry about provided I have no problems.

Reply to
newshound

I'd do that - but I failed to find a stockist of anything but theatre props.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I just noticed tonight that I could not read the dash instruments. They were manageable in the day, but the blue lit gauges were totally out of focus. The red ones not so bad. I know why that is, but I am not actually sure if my observation is "the right way around" according to physics.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks.

The more I hear here, the more I think the dispensing was wrong (not the original prescription - the power levels in themselves seem just right).

I'm actually getting eyestrain now and riding the train this morning made me feel a little sick. These are definitely not right.

Reply to
Tim Watts