And you've been burning them ?

Or eBay ref no 251670679631

Reply to
fred

or even

£12/m2 for bits of pallet...? Nice work if you can get it! £30/m2 supplied and fitted isn't too bad, though.

There's a place near here, a "shoplet" room within a retro shop, who've done their floor in parquet made from old pallets. Looks bloody brilliant

- but I know it drove the guy nearly mad doing it...

Reply to
Adrian

Blimey, we're going back to the 60s. There are good reasons why UK grown softwood is only fit for fences and pallets

Reply to
stuart noble

not even suitable for that.

most pallettes are made from imported wood

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Care to explain, please?

Reply to
GB

Cam you believe that someone actually really wanted a rickety old pair of decorators steps i was going to toss in the rubbish as a garden feature, suitably varnished to stop them rotting of course. There are obviously budding Tate Modern artists out there. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's a latitude thing. You need long, hard winters to grow decent tight grained European Redwood. Finland, Siberia etc.

Reply to
stuart noble

Artists always overlook the practical, especially if you let them loose in the garden

Reply to
stuart noble

Ah, thx, I'll remember that.

Reply to
GB

Paint them in a bit of leftover magnolia emulsion and flog them on ebay as 'shabby chic'. Seems to work for some people. I prefer to drop the word 'chic'.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

ITYM it is a climate thing. Novosibirsk is not far off the same latitude as Aberdeen, but the former has an average low temperature of -20.9C in January, as compared to +0.2C at Aberdeen Dyce airport.

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed.

Reply to
stuart noble

And more, Wiki says:

The oldest known giant sequoia based on ring count is 3,500 years old.

Reply to
polygonum

We're talking about European Redwood here (pinus sylvestris) aka Scots Pine. Those big buggers in California are a different species altogether, probably not used for pallets :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

They'd make some very large pallets, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Not necessarily...

polygonum

And now forget it.

After WW1 Britain organised the Forestry Commission to grow spruce for timb er props in mines. Right up until a few decades ago there was a tax relief for millionaires to grow spruce on their Scottish tax havens.

Around about the time that spruce-bark beetle took over, they started cutti ng down British forests as fast as they could make a penny on them which me ant that a lot of the trees were too immature for decent timber and would n ot have been joinery grade timber anyway, as spruce is a white pine and wil l not accept fine finishing.

It has nothing to do with the fact that red pine is grown in Scandinavia wh ere stands avoided getting the chop to make trench boards. I doubt that col d winters are the reason for their usefulness as warm summers are what make the rings.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Oh dear. Summer growth is what you definitely don't want. Pinus Sylvestris grows all over northern Europe and its value is determined by how short the summers are. In Siberia the ports are only navigable for a month or two, so Kara Sea material is legendary. Welsh pine is rather less so.

Reply to
stuart noble