[OT] Varifocal glasses

At the last minute of ordering my varifocals I changed from the stylish ones to the ones with the biggest lenses, got used to them in less than an hour. great [g]

Reply to
DICEGEORGE

Some of us have developed the ability to use pockets, try it, it works!

Reply to
Capitol

I went for the biggest frames I could find that matched other criteria and didn't make me look that that snooker bloke or Dierdre Barlow.

I never understood what use those tiny strip glasses could be, even with single focus lenses.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Same here. I keep one pair of bifocals at home, by my armchair. Great for looking at TV listings, working the remote control...and watching TV.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Glasses, in cases, are just too bulky if you are not in the habit of wearing a jacket.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Cases? Just use the glasses and throw them when they get a bit scratched. 80p for a reading pair is all I pay. The main pair are a bit more expensive at £47 for high index plastic, or £27 for the cheap ones.

Reply to
Capitol

That doesn?t raise the lenses enough to make any difference.

Its got nothing to do with the shape of your nose.

Reply to
john james

Yes, but keeping them in a trouser pocket means they'll last about five minutes.

That's why I'm sticking to having a pair of cheap specs everywhere I go in the house, two pairs (distance and near) in the car (for driving/ shopping respectively), and the monocle in the pocket.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm not panicking, just mentioned it because it means that what happens with age prescription wise is irrelevant after cataract surgery. Everyone I know that has had it, and that is most of those I know now, haven't had any problem with it.

Reply to
john james

I did notice one of the online optometrists offered them, forget which.

Certainly no problem with fitting and dirt cheap.

Reply to
john james

Obviously on a nice bright day, your pupils are constricted and give you a bit of extra power like a pin-hole lens, at night they're dilated and you don't get the "boost". Reading the actual dash is fine with my VFs, but the screen for the radio/aircon/settings is in the centre of the car rather than centred in front of the driver and I have to rotate my head to read it clearly, rather than just glance at it with my eyes which gives a slight double image.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Mine's a 3 dioptre and was about 45 quid (38mm, with gallery).

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was wondering what difference the "adjustments" she was offering to make would make. Bugger all by the sound of it.

I just put on my old glasses - what a relief.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - of course. That'll explain it I think.

at night they're dilated and

Reply to
Tim Watts

That depends on the shape of your nose and the pads.

See above!

Reply to
dennis

Its like camera lenses.. When you stop down the depth of field goes up so a greater amount of the image is focused. Smaller apertures also reduce the optical defects in the lens system, but they also reduce the maximum resolution that can be obtained (which is why you can see more detail in larger telescopes/binoculars).

The reduction in defects can be large, in daylight I can pass the eyesight test for driving without my specs, there is no chance at night.

YMMV depending on what type of defect and where it is.

Reply to
dennis

No, no nose shape allows any real variation in where the transition happens.

Reply to
john james

make sure that you buy a car with big numbers

(and no I'm not joking)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

why would you *not* want to look like that snooker bloke?

Everybody likes him

tim

Reply to
tim.....

To use my 'glasses' of last resort, form a triangular pinhole between thumb and forefinger of one hand, and forefinger of the other hand, hold in front of eye - not so good for driving though.

Reply to
Andy Burns