OT: Taxi meters

Best group I can think of to ask this off-topic question: how do taxi meters actually work? I don't often have to catch a taxi, but when I do, the guy always seems to drive a hell of a lot slower than I want him to (and than he was driving when I flagged him down).

It's surely based on a combination of time and distance, but the way they drive, it seems to be to their advantage to go as slow as possible. Can I tell the driver to "step on it, please"? [well - obviously I can!]

John

Reply to
John

In article , John writes

Sounds about right, time and distance. They take pulses form the speedo cable or more correctly transducers from electronic speedo's these days and use that to compute with.

Google for "taxitronic" and "HAC taximeters" and "digitax"

Reply to
tony sayer

If they are anything like the ones in the US, they run based on distance when the driver is going over a certain speed, and when stationary in traffic switch to a rate based on time.

Reply to
Mark Trueman

There will be certain areas they are more likely to get hailed, but they can't park there as there is no rank, so they'll drive round and round (who said taxis were environmentally friendly ... they usually sit at ranks with engines idling too).

To know the answer to that, you have to check your local council's taxi rates. Generally, it's distance based, but if you're going below a certain mph the taximeter may assume the vehicle is stopped and apply "waiting time".

London uses both distance and time charging.

For the first 335.8 metres or 72.2 seconds (whichever is reached first) there is a minimum charge of £2.20; For each additional 167.9 metres or 36.1 seconds (whichever is reached first), or part thereof, if the fare is less than £13.40 then there is a charge of 20p;

The meter automatically adds a charge based on time for any part of the journey when the speed drops below 10.4 mph.
Can I tell the driver to "step on it, please"? [well - obviously I can!] You can, but they're likely to be cautious drivers as any accident/infringement puts their licence and livelihood in jeopardy. Even a dinged light takes them off the road and loses them several hours' income.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Think that's the case in the UK too - so it is of no advantage to the driver to go slowly. Except that it helps the fuel consumption.

On the rare occasion I use a black cab, I'd say they drive too fast. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's sometimes been my experience but mini cabs ALWAYS do, I wouldn't use them from choice. Mind you, so do buses, especially National Express.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Interesting stuff! So if a taxi driver was driving slowly to bump up the fare, he'd *actually* have to drive at less than 10.4 mph. I doubt that he'd do that!

Reply to
Set Square

On 15 Jun 2005, Set Square wrote

-snip-

In some parts of London he'd be grateful to be able to reach such a speed...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Agreed. But the OP was implying *deliberately* driving slowly - presumably when there were no obstacles in the way.

Reply to
Set Square

[HA! Black cabs in London, maybe, but certainly not in the North East. "Knights of the road", indeed! ]

and Set Square said

Yes -- like the sedate 50mph 20 mile drive I had back from the airport along our empty dual carriageway, a few weeks ago. (But Come, John! using the words "empty dual carriageway" must be a red rag to most UK citizens these days!)

But thanks for all these illuminating answers folks -- this is really educational.

John

Reply to
John

... observers of the Highway Code ...

Flanders and Swann's "A transport of delight" was about buses, not taxis.

I remember empty motorways. We happened to be travelling on Cup Final day but, not following football, we didn't know it. (We = the family.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We make a point of knowing when it is - so that we can do our shopping with empty shops! We also see how long we can last after the event before becoming aware of who's won. If we're *very* lucky, we don't even get to find out who's playing!

Reply to
Set Square

Indeed - the black cab bunch were dismissively cast aside: them *jackal* taxi drivers can only swear and cuss behind that monarch of the road ob*ser*ver of the Highway Code that big six-wheeler scarlet-painted diesel-engined ninety-seven horsepower omnibus

or nearish offer (can't be bothered Googling for the right words - them's the ones in my head and that's what's going out through my fingers...)

Reply to
Stefek Zaba