OT, strange 'phone call, probable attempt at 'Advance Fee Fraud'

OK, but since it is *that* number and it is being used to make threatening phone calls as a part of an advance fee fraud scam WTF can't inActionFraud get off their arses and do something about it?

The number (and a zillion very like it) have been around for long enough to have a significant footprint as nuisance callers on the web.

It must work sometimes or they would not be doing it.

OP might like to forward his info to Radio 4's Money Box programme or that whinging consumer lunchtime one.

They are more likely to do something with it than inActionFraud even if all they do is hold the latter's feet to the fire.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Enter the number as a search at Google - I already did - and it shows up as a regular scam caller. "Who calls me" is a useful site for this sort of th ing as it often shows other people having the same experience. Report them to The Telephone Preference service, if your're registered, and the governm ent based Information Commisioner's Office (ICO). Entering the number in yo ur call directory with a name such as "Ignore" works just as well.

Reply to
greyridersalso

(snip)

I did before my first post.

The ICO is absolutely useless, I found out last year.

Thanks for the reply.

David

Reply to
David

He just rang again and left another message.

Nearly the same message, but this time I have 40 minutes to respond.

I now have a recording on this computer and am looking for a host site.

David

Reply to
David

Just sign up to something like Dropbox and post a link. You don't need anything fancy.

Reply to
polygonum

I have stored the file here:

Unfortunately, there is a wait of 1 minute before accessing the file.

The file download button is at the lower right hand corner of the screen and is titled "Fraud Call". It is an MP3.

Thanks to everyone.

David

Reply to
David

Send your info to a BBC consumer programme and let them do some of the donkey work now. It is high time that inActionFraud and spineless toothless "watchdogs" like the ICO were hauled over the coals.

Basically just tell them to go and stuff themselves. You could also try logging a complaint about harassment by this caller with your telco although I am not sure how seriously they take these fraud scams.

Reply to
Martin Brown

(snip)

No offence meant.

If we can get everyone to recognise what these calls are, and inform our friends, neighbours and vulnerable (easily persuaded) people that there is nothing to fear, then it may save much worry.

David

Reply to
David

Does it _really_ protect the vulnerable to inform? Or does it heighten their anxiety and, possibly, make them more likely to do the wrong thing? Like hang up on a genuinely important call.

Do we spend the next few days going through all the possible scams with them? (With them likely as not within minutes forgetting 90+% of what we say.)

Not saying that your intent isn't spot on. Simply not convinced of the approach.

Reply to
polygonum

On Thursday 30 May 2013 13:24 David wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's an admirable sentiment but I'm cynical so I assume there will always be enough stupid[1] (easily connable) people for the criminals to make the effort.

[1] Not you because you had the nous to ask about it rather than acting.
Reply to
Tim Watts

how big is it?

Might have room on the gridwatch machine .. there is a way to email me from there if you look.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just answer the call and see how long you can string him along. Then say, muffled as though to one side, "OK, Sarg, have you heard enough?"

Reply to
Huge

PM sent

David

Reply to
David

Also here thanks to TNP:

No waiting nor ads...

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

Blimey, that's an evil scummy site. Three fat links pretending to be the download, and they're actually something completely different. When the minute is up it changes to a little "Click here to download link". The dominant one is still an ad.

I appreciate you've pointed out how to avoid being suckered, but those guys are really taking the piss.

Reply to
Clive George

I've moved it here for the OP..

The Natural Philosopher

Now reported to BBC Watchdog, and the Telco whom strongly suggest reporting it to the police.

David

Reply to
David

Sincere apologies for that. It was the first site I stumbled across that did not require registration.

Very kindly, The Natural Philosopher has hosted the file here:

David

Reply to
David

Did you change the sheets after last Saturday night? You made me bleed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

S'ok, I wasn't really having a go at you, more at the webfilehost people. And I did see TNP's version.

Reply to
Clive George