OT: setting up Microsoft Office 365

There's a wealth of knowledge in here so does anyone know anything about setting up Microsoft Office 365?

The O365 side has been set up from a previous domain registrar's system but we've just moved the domain to another registrar and it seems I need a 'Points to address value' that starts ms and is followed by 8 digits.

Problem is I can't find this number anywhere within the 0365 pages in the O365 account. Can anyone tell me where/how to find it please?

Bloody hell, somebody actually bought this crap!

grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

F scribbled...

Program manager

Add/remove programs

Reply to
Artic

Which displays your ignorance on the subject.

Care to explain its crappiness?

Should we start with its reputed requirement for an "always there" internet connection, then with the fact that it's a subscription based service, so if you forget a payment, you lose all your facilities, and continuing with a lack of support for any non-Microsoft browser?

All this makes it totally useless to me, for a start.

Libre Office will do all that O365 will do, and is free, with free unlimited updates to the software. Paid for support is available, but not essential. You can even store your data in The Cloud while using it, if that's what rocks your boat.

Reply to
John Williamson

Which just goes to show that you, like others, have jumped in with both feet and made assumptions on what is being used, why it's being used and how it's being used, that are wholly false.

If you can't answer the question why, like the three respondents to date, does anyone bother with a totally unhelpful post? That someone wouldn't use the package in question is fine. That it's being used in particular circumstances for a particular reason isn't 'wrong'.

uk.d-i-y used to be a font of knowledge. Now that is being diluted by posts which are simply abusive, dismissive or looking for an argument.

I replied to your question "Care to explain its crappiness?" while referring to MS Office 365. I replied with my opinions as to what makes it crap, and offered a free alternative. Another free and cloud-based alternative is Google's Chrome offering. What is your problem with these? Do you, perhaps, work for Microsoft or one of its resellers?

I will admit to an error in my post, though. O365 does allegedly support some non-MS browsers, although they have to be the latest versions according to the website, and I'd like to see how that support is broken in the latest version of Firefox which is was issued a couple of days ago, as MS have a bad habit of using undocumented features in their programs.

Reply to
John Williamson

You have, of course, read these pages:-

John Williamson

I have no connection with Microsoft other than that of a user. We are only using the email synchronisation subset of the 365 offering. My original query was nothing to do with using a cloud-based version of Office.

In article , F writes

It's a font of knowledge for matters relating to DIY but has f*ck all to do with a crappy software package being flogged by a company desperate to wring every last dollar out of its cash cow.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The ways of Microsoft Office are beyond the understanding of mortal man.

It's crappiness remains inexplicable to the most talented philosophers and sages.

It is perhaps, according to one theory, like a basically decent vegetable garden, infested and overrun by that most deadly of weeds, creeping featurism. It looks bursting with life, but as far as actual potato content goes, its hard to find them anymore.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

SWMBO has been using this for around a year now with no complaints!.

Seems its rather more compatible with MS office products than Libre office and Open office..

Theres is a useful free as well as paid for version which isn't that expensive at all...

tony sayer

Blimey!, Where have you been;?.

Newsnet is the biggest open wrestling ring around;!...

It shows up human nature better than anywhere else...

Reply to
tony sayer

F scribbled...

Like wot Thunderbird can do ?

Reply to
Artic

Some parts of it, yes. But then that's a lot easier to maintain than running you own services. 3 quid per person a month for a small business to have exchange services? Pretty good value IMO (as much as I hate the idea).

Less than a tenner a month per user for the lot including sharepoint (sky drive pro). That's think clients as well so no need for a connection.

Basic email is on O365 now and is free. Outlook.com.

Rubbish. Since O365 launched the cross browser support is better than pretty much any other complex web app.

I suspect you are not the target market then

No it won't. It's limited use if you have to interact with complex MS documents (which if you like it or not, are pretty standard).

It doesn't touch the online services that O365 offer. What is it's sharepoint equivelent?

Office 365 is much more than a copy of word and outlook webaccess.

As much as I hate admitting it, it's pretty impressive.

Darren - currently hosting over 65000 accounts in O365

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Good luck with that.

Reply to
Huge

Cheers.

It's working well at the moment. Not perfect, but certainly worth what we pay for it...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

In here (and elsewhere) for quite a few years.

But uk.d-i-y used to be much better than that: you could ask a question and get a civilised and considered response without anyone needing to exercise their ego.

Which is what we're using it for.

He clearly isn't, but he's used his situation and applied it to my original query without any understanding of why I might want to use it.

And it's the 'more than' that we're using and were asking for help for. Unfortunately there were a number of distinctly unhelpful responses based on some faulty assumptions.