Setting Up Woodshop Help

I am setting up my woodworking shop and need advice on the tools I will place in the shop, specifically I need advice as to what kind of router and table to buy and would like any input on tablesaws.. I would like my table saw to be able to do daddo and preferably be able to rip 4x8 sheets of wood down.. also any other input on additonal tools would be greatly appreciated.. I already have a bandsaw, scrollsaw, drillpress and dual laser compound miter saw,, all made by Delta... Thanks to all who will provide input...

David

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

How much money do you have and how big is your shop?

I'd buy a General 350 or a Delta Unisaw with the 52" fence and make an outfeed table that is about 8 feet long in back of it. Be sure to get good blades. I have a Ridge Carbide 40T blade and their dado set.

Then I'd buy a Benchdog router table (

lift, and a 3 HP router to go with it.

Be sure to get a canister style dust collector also.

OK, how's the wallet holding up?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think ripping 4x8 sheets down on the table saw is bit dangerous. Any mistakes while you feed will through off the cut a 1/4" either way. I prefer to rough cut the piece with a jig saw and a very aggressive blade, then cut the more manageable pieces on the table saw.

I have a 52" Vega fence, but there is always a whole lot tolls on the other side of that fence that would have to move first!

Alan

Reply to
arw01

I'm happy with my Grizzly 1023 saw. You can get it with an extension table to rip the wider stuff. Happy with the fence on it too. Also available in right or left tilt according to your preference.

Reply to
Kevin Matthews

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:YbDFd.14522$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

Jeez, Ed! You melted his VISA card!

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

A good circular saw with a long straightedge is also good for breaking down

4X8 sheets of plywood. I do this all the time. A lot more manageable than doing it on a table saw, particularly in a small shop. Get a good blade and you are in business.
Reply to
philly

I'm very pleased with my Grizzly 1023 table saw. I've had it for abou seven years now and cut thousands of feet of material on it. I di replace the stock fence with a 52" Biesemeyer fence. My saw is on mobile base; when cutting sheet goods I bring out my fully adjustabl matrimonial outfeed assistant...did I mention that I married a ver patient woman

-- makesawdust

Reply to
makesawdust

I have a little over $7000.00 to spend on my shop... Thanks for all the imput

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

Thanks to all who have provided input.... You are all very helpful and thoughful... I Am progressing with the woodworking shop all but very confussidly.... Ha! HA!

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

ScRaPLeR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Go slowly. It need not be spent all in one week.

Take a class or three. Find a woodworkers' club if you can. Make a few projects with the tools you already have, even if you then use them for firewood. It's just for practice.

Start looking for used tools in the newspaper, or on eBay, or Craigslist. Not to buy, but to see what's available. If it's interesting, ask the seller what it was used for, and why they are selling. You can learn a lot that way. Some old tools are gems. Others are junk.

Realize that $7000 buys a lot of furniture, and that what you are buying is tools to help make your hobby more enjoyable, safer, and you somewhat more capable. Leave enough in your budget for materials. And books. And classes.

Lotsa folks have spent much more than your budget. But there are many here who are really proud of the fact that they have all the fun they can handle, having spent probably less than $1000.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Have another question for you premo folks,, I am getting ready to buy a router and table,,,, any recommendations on this or should I buy a shaper instead...... and or should I buy fixed base or plunge router..

also I have seen a lot of discussion on building your own router table,,,, is this a better way than to buy one,, are the ones on the market not good enough or what???

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to reply

David

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

A popular and relatively inexpensive router for a table is a Hitachi M12V. I believe it's rated at 3 1/4 hp and is a variable speed, soft start router. I have one in my homemade table and it's worked great. My table is two pieces of 3/4" MDF glued together and sealed with water-based poly, about three coats, and then waxed. I banded the edges with some maple. The router hangs from a piece of 1/4" thick plexiglass that sits in a rabbet in the top. IIRC the top is about 24" x 36" or thereabouts. The top sits on an old cabinet on which I mounted wheels ( had to cut a hole through the top for the router). I buy 1/2" bits for my table and 1/4" bits for an old Skil plunge router that I use for handheld stuff. The Hitachi has an adapter sleeve if you want to use the smaller shank bits in your table. I don't think it's a matter of store bought tables not being good enough but the fact that it's so easy and less expensive to make your own table. Also you can make it any size you want to suit your needs or space limitations. A search of this newsgroup will turn up dozens of suggestions on how to build your own table, some including photos.

Dale

Reply to
dalemartindesigns

Choice of router base depends on what you want to do. I got a PC690 with both bases for freehand work and a DW (something, I forget which model) with more power and variable speed for my router table.

I got the Jessem table and fence and a RouterLift; and later replaced the Jessem fence with an Incra Ultra. If I'd had a clue (instead of a really pressing project) I'd have bought only the Incra fence and built everything else - I'd have a setup I'd like better /and/ have saved more cash than I like to think about.

I have a shaper that's gone unused since I added a router table to the shop. I'd suggest waiting until/if you find that you really need one. I'll predict that you won't.

Visit the binary archives and take time to drool over what a couple of the folks here have built themselves. There're a few that make the best commercial offerings look pretty Spartan.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

My Shop size is 42' x 22'

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

Thanks For All the Input do you have any suggestions if I were to buy a router table,, I.E what brand etc.

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

You SUCK! Next you're going to tell me your wife is in the mood for lovin' three times a day and you just bought 2500 bf of 8/4 walnut for $25. :)

Reply to
Silvan

David,

I am glad you got some great input on your shop setup from this group. Everyone here is glad to share their experiences.

Take a look around my shop and you should pick up a few other good tips and ideas. If you have any questions, please write to me directly. Good luck

Dennis Slabaugh Hobbyist Woodworker

Reply to
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Wood

Not Married,,,,Been divorced for 25 years,, learned a very expensive lesson with that one. No I just have a live in girlfriend who makes right at double what I make... She is a D.O.N. Director Of Nursing at a very large retirement facility.. Since I work out of town and most times out of state we see little of each other but my new shop will be something we can do together.. She enjoys anything to do with building anything and loves the out of doors.. I got blessed this time, after looking for almost 25 years... Hope this does not cause any ill feelings towards me.. I will most likely need you guys help in the upcoming weeks/months/years....

Thanks again for all you guys comments and input.. all are appriciated.

Reply to
ScRaPLeR

What lottery was you playing when you hit?

Reply to
GeraldR916

No, "you suck" is our way of expressing envy. Getting told you suck is a good thing around here. You have a bigass shop, ergo you suck. Revel in it. You just gloated. Mentioning it in passing as you did, it was a drive-by gloat. Although a gloat is not officially approved by CRAG (Council of wReck Acknowledgment of Gloats) until not less than two individuals have independently informed you of your suckage. So, as of now, your gloat is still unconfirmed.

Reply to
Silvan