OT; Sausages!

SWMBO brought this up and it started me thinking.

Most blokes love sausages. Mention sausage egg & chips, bangers & mash, toad in the hole or even the humble sausage sandwich and most blokes are salivating.

Sausages are surely the culinary pinnacle of 'proper' food.

But women seem to be indifferent. Not really interested at all.

How weird is that?

Discuss!

No knob jokes.

Reply to
David Lang

Might be true in your household, but here sausages are an equal opportunity option.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

David Lang scribbled

It depends on how much meat there is in your sausage.

Reply to
Jonno

I said no knob gags :-)

Reply to
David Lang

It probably depends on the quality of the sausage. Some seem to be 50% fat and 50% bulking agent. Often the 'premium' label on many supermarket sausages appears to only relate to the price and not the quality of the ingredients.

In my place of work the restaurant (canteen) sells catering sausages in roll which are only edible with a couple of packets of mustard/ketchup.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , David Lang writes

As broad generalities go, yes, I agree :-)

Here, we're lucky enough to have a proper butcher who makes real, tasty sausages, and they are a regular fixture on our table. Butcher makes countless varieties, but we stick with the humble, plain pork sausage, served, as you say, in a multitude of ways.

Having a 14 year old in the house, we strive to serve meals that all three of us will enjoy, and sausages firmly tick that box. I love 'em, son loves 'em although I suspect wifey enjoys them, but serves them because they're quick and easy to prepare, and keep all three of us happy. She could probably happily live without.

Reply to
News

I said that to our butcher, and he said "Well, it's hard to make both ends meat these days."

Reply to
Bob Henson

They probably give more thought to what's inside them. In the same vein, I had a friend who worked in a meat pie factory; he said he'd never eat one again.

Reply to
Edward

En el artículo , Edward escribió:

It's like doner kebabs and sausage rolls - you know the stuff inside is complete s**te but sometimes they are hard to resist.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A few years ago my MIL was in Tesco, looking to buy some sausages.

Said to some poor spotty Tesco lad, "So, which of theses sausages aren't made with minced up willies and rubbish like that" :-)

Reply to
Chris French

I tried sausages from the small butcher local to me. His main ingredient was salt.

Reply to
alan_m

I have sausages made from our own pigs, and without bragging too much they are excellent, but even so the other half may have one or two to my four. I specify minimal fat (you do need some) and no offal and the results are well worth while, also the pigs are 'rare breed' (saddlebacks) which tend to have a better flavour, but if you are a commercial butcher selling 'normal' sausages you can't afford to do that. We do have a butcher in the next village (Archers of Westfield) who make and sell a premium sausage that is an acceptable substitute but the price is very high. Even 'premium' supermarket sausages are inedible when you've sampled what they should taste like :)

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

I'm surprised to learn *Saddlebacks* are considered a rare breed!

My father kept them in the '60's and crossed with a Large White boar. Slightly less likely to eat their offspring than others:-(

Useful outlet for dead chickens and chat potatoes.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Does not seem like a great survival tactic for the species!

Reply to
Tim Watts

If you were to buy a pork joint from the butcher, which cut makes for the best sausages, if you minced and stuffed your own?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had sausage egg and chips on Monday in Bognor. I was however disappointed that nobody had rebuilt their pier, it was just a short stub. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Many previously common pig breeds became 'rare breeds' when commercial pig rearing concentrated on the 'Landrace' pig, which can litter more frequently and has a longer and leaner body. It's the lean-ness that I think contributes to the bland flavour

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Most pig breeds (all?) will eat afterbirths and any still born offspring, and I suspect it is a behaviour trait that has promoted survival, as it not only stops infection from rotting carcasses, but minimise protein loss at a time when the Sow needs as much as she can get to suckle her surviving offspring. For the same reasons a Ewe will usually eat her after birth shortly after lambing - they don't however eat still born lambs.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Any lean cut. Trim the fat off entirely, then add your choice of it back to the diced pork prior to mincing. If however if it is a 'marbled' cut with very narrow veins of fat running through it, personally I wouldn't add any more. All sausages need a modicum of crumb, rusk and seasonings.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

This can't be discussed without knob jokes !

I rarely eat sausages of any sort.

Reply to
whisky-dave