OT: Razor blade life

In article , Tim writes

I use disposable twin-blade Wilkinson Sword. Usually good for three shaves, maybe four at a push.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I find it's the little foam strip which goes (probably intentionally to shift more product) - usually within a few shaves. After that they don't cut very well, but I suspect that the blades still have quite a bit of life left in them.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Even cheapo Bics last that long. Actually, from my experience Bics are better than the tarted-up razors anyway.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

That's pathetic. You are being robbed.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Oh, I'm sure that the life of other blades is similar, I was just making the point that even manufacturers are saying that they should last a decent while.

Personally I've never got on with the Bic ones. For me the best shave I get is from the Fusion Power ones. Not really because of the multi blades but because of the vibration of the head. I bought one when I needed a new razor and they were on some stupidly cheap promotion. I thought it would just be a gimmick, but it really does make a difference.

Turn it off and the shave is nowhere near as good or as easy.

Reply to
chris French

writes

Not my experience. I tried shaving half my face with the power on, half with it off and I couldn't feel any difference. I do however always shave after I shower which may make a difference.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

I can certainly tell the difference between power on and power off, but I can't see any justification for the price difference between power and non-power blades, so I buy the non-power blades and use them powered.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Nothing wrong with plain one-blade types. More often than not I forget to pack a razor when I travel, but bring a packet (-1) home. What puzzles me is why the ones I buy abroad always seem better than the ones bought here: don't cut my face when new, last a month or more. Like everything else they must come out of the same factory? wherever in the world that is. Is there some on the packing line picking out the rejects and putting them in the bags labelled in English?

Reply to
djc

Are these double-edged 'bare' blades to go in a non-disposable handle? I bought a carton of Wilkinson Sword's finest made in Solingen (20 dispensers of 5) off ebay in 2009 for about £12. If they're not genuine I'd be surprised. Reckon I've used half so far. Probably shave twice a week on average, after washing as it softens my bristles, and swap a blade after approx 5 uses when they are noticeably duller.

Reply to
Part Timer

In article , djc writes

Very much +1. I sometimes think the UK gets palmed off with s**te quality goods that our friends on the continent wouldn't stand for.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

writes

I usually shave *in* the shower whilst I am washing my hair - an occasional bit of soap off my head helps if I need lubrication.

Would this short out a Fusion? Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew

In article , Part Timer writes

They're complete disposables with a rubberised handle. I get them from the USA at about $4 a packet. They have a lube strip and a little button you can push which passes a plastic wotsit between the blades to declog the razor. They give a very good shave (seem to suit me, anyway)

These ones:

've seen them sold as Wilkinson Sword here in UK.

For 30c (19p) each I'm not complaining.

Most razors I've tried haven't agreed with me. I did get a free trial of one of the Gillette 4-blade ones and liked it but won't pay that much for them.

every 3 days usually for me.

yes, 4 uses for me. if I go to 5 there's claret everywhere.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"The grass is always greener" syndrome seems a likelier explanation than manufacturers deliberately producing lower grade blades for the UK market.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

No, doubt it.

Mine gets dunked in the sink, rinsed under the tap etc.

Reply to
chris French

The French have never forgiven you for Waterloo. I don't know where the NZ ones come from, but they are very good.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Me too, using ordinary soap.

Reply to