Painting old lining paper

My wife wants to get some decorators in to repaint the bedroom. The room has (previously painted) lining paper which in some areas has lifted slightly at the joins / bottom of the skirting board. There are even some parts where the lining paper rolls overlap slightly. What should I reasonably be expecting a painter/decorator to do here?

One guy said he would trim the paper away with a blade and fill. Others, I'm sure, would just leave and repaint. The house is about

100 years old so I know I shouldn't want/expect a perfect finish to every surface.

Regards

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If it is nice and dry, you might manage to sand the excess of the overlap down.

I have done that a few times where the awkwardness of getting a good join made it easier to allow the overlap, let it dry, and sand.

Reply to
polygonum

Overlapping and using a rolling cutter, then removing the cut-offs while wet is easier still.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sure, any idea what is reasonable to expect a professional painter/ decorator to do in this sort of situation.

It's just that I know posters here usually go the extra mile to do jobs properly :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I'd probably stick the edges back down, and use filler to disappear anything noticeable. You takes your choice, pays your money.

NT

Reply to
NT