Bosch Jigsaw - Blade change

Hi, My FIL has a Bosch GST 60 PBE jigsaw. Apparently it hasn't been used in a long time. The blades are easy to change but the locking mechanism seems to have something missing. I know there is a slotted grub screw that you need a long reach screwdriver for, but this grub screw is in my hand and there doesn't seem to be a thread for it to go into. How does a grub screw at the top of the lifting rod secure the blade which is at the bottom of this rod?! Is there suposed to be something inside this lifting rod?

I've looked at an exploded drawing, but it doesn't show much detail about the lifting rod.

Ta for any help.

Reply to
Grumps

Its a bit like a bayonet light bulb fitting. Put blade up into shaft, twist 1/4 turn then the screw from the top is tightened down to hold it in place.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rogers

alan_m

The screw doesn't have any thread to screw into. It only sits in the top of the lifting rod. I think there is something missing inside this rod. It is just an empty tube!

Reply to
Grumps

Thanks. I watched all of that. That is how I've done the blade change, except the unit I have does not allow the blade to be secured by the screw. My FIL's jigsaw could do with a clean up and re-grease too.

Reply to
Grumps

I am sure the old ones had a hex key.

Reply to
ARW

Are you sure it's not just that the screw isn't engaging with the thread? Perhaps the thread of the screw or what it screws into is full of gunge. Even when the screw is engaged, IIRC it can take quite a few turns for it to tighten up - it's not simply a quarter turn.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

There is a thread at the bottom of the tube. You need a long screwdriver, slotted, and the same diameter throughout (ie the blade not wider than the shaft).

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I have a long screw driver.

The issue I had was that the screw in my hand seemed to have a head that was too big to fit into the tube. I could feel the threads at the blade end of the tube, but wasn't sure if there was a bit missing somewhere. With the use of a small persuader, I managed to pass the screw head into the tube. I guess it's supposed to be tight so it doesn't fall out. It now screws into its thread and locks the blade securely.

Thanks to all for your help.

Reply to
Grumps