OT: Razor blade life

I've always joked that I change my blade once a month whether I need to or not. Recently I ran out of blades and have continued on with my old one with no problems.

Just how long can a modern blade last? Who holds the record? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Right until the shave where it rips half your face off. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to think I'm pushing it a bit to make one last a month.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I find the new blades most damaging.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Yes, they can be ... I think because you naturally expect them to give a perfect shave, but they're so sharp they don't ride over anything, they just slice straight through.

Reply to
Andy Burns

3 months so far. I strop it on my forearm.
Reply to
GB

I'm waiting for someone who has a Rolls, they will tell you theirs last indefinitely.

Reply to
Moonraker

I've got one somewhere in a cupboard. I gave up using it decades ago, after I bought my first electric razor.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

When I last replaced the 3 blade head on mine, I'd been using it for either 12 or 18 months.

I do have a spare that I keep in my travel bag.

I never use foam or lather and I only ever clean it out with a jet of water (finger over the end of the tap).

Reply to
OG

I got a rolls but wouldnt dare try and use it.

Reply to
SS

Years ago there was a programme on BBC2 where people came along with their ideas and prototypes. There were a number of experts that evaluated them and checked out whether any existing patents covered them.

I remember one guy saying that razors never got the chance to go blunt, instead they get a coating that makes them act blunt, long before they actually are. He had come up with a cleaning machine - based on a cleaning roller driven by a canibalised cordless drill.

There was obviously some pre-"auditioning" of the items, as he had asked a member of the production crew to bring in a blunt razor. He cleaned it on the machine and the crew member tried it and declared it successful (since then, I have got a bit longer out of razors by running them the wrong way over a towel to clean them).

Anyway, they carried out a patent search and declared that it was covered by patents held by one of the blade manufacturers, so he couldn't take it any further.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My Dad bought shares in them, just at the time when electric razors were coming out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My 15-year-old son has not been taking a blade to his new down-like face-fur for very long; and gets his supplies via Mum's Tesco shopping. I knew he was using one of these gazillion-bladed devices marketed by Gilette, shaving you close, then closer still, then closer still (repeat ad nauseam) which is vital when you have bristles as tough as his (?).

Anyway, I've just discovered that he's been chucking out the blade evry single time he shaves because he thought that's what you were supposed to do. Christ knows what that's been adding to the weekly food shop bill. Had a hell of row trying to convince him that no, it's not just Dad being a tightwad, they are actually supposed to last more than one go...

Reply to
Lobster

Indeed. Gilette even say for their Fusion blades that they shoulsd last about a month

Reply to
chris French

If mum's doing the shopping then get her to buy their own brand lubed twin blade ones, apparently they're not bad and certainly enough for junior's peach fuzz. He can choose the overpriced overhyped branded ones when he's paying :-!

Reply to
fred

I claim the record. My last blade has lasted for 40 years. Possibly that's because I've had a full beard for 40 years.

Reply to
Matty F

How many pairs of scissors have you worn out, though?

Reply to
John Williamson

I trim the beard (and hair) with an electric hair cutter. The price of that was less than the cost of a hair cut.

Reply to
Matty F

I get at least a month out of Bic disposables.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I find the multiples actually clog long before they get dull. I use a nailbrush to clean nine..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take the heads off and put them on a decent metal handle, to give the correct heft, and they are fine.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q