OT; Payslips etc

SWMBO is looking for a loan to replace her car. She has searched on the interweb & found the deal she wants & the loan company obviously want confirmation of her earnings .

She has worked for the council for years. They don't issue paper payslips any more or paper P60's - everything is online & you can print it off if you wish. But the loan company insist on originals.

No problem, 'two bank statements showing it paid in will do' - except we, like many, use online banking & don't have original paper bank statements any more.

Is this loan company still in the dark ages?

Or is there a simple solution I haven't thought of?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Simple, but not necessarily cheap. Most banks will provide you with printed copies of specific statements - for a fee.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Most loan companies will take printouts signed by a boss or HR, or accounts with a covering letter on company/council headed paper. See if they will accept those in lieu of originals. After all they can check validity of phone numbers and phone the boss in question.

Reply to
Fredxx

My company also does everything online, except we still get the original paper P60's - they believe that's a legal requirement.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They were right that for a long time P60s were an exception. But the PAYE regs were changed last year to allow "electronic" P60s from the

2010-11 tax year.
Reply to
Robin

I don't have a solution but there's a similar issue beginning to raise its ugly head with respect to the money laundering regulations. Most banks (or wherever) insist on original utility bills or whatever and now lots of us have no printed utility bills.

Reply to
tinnews

Yes, I'd have thought they were too. It's easy to forget to actually print them though as the IR software just produces a PDF file.

Reply to
tinnews

Ooh, so I didn't have to print mine out (I'm my own employer with a small Ltd. company).

Reply to
tinnews

I'm not sure if I ever printed mine out in the same situation. Had the requirement appeared for a paper P60, I'd have knocked one up, but it never did.

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, I wasn't all that serious about it, though the IR software does tend to prevent you going back and printing out a P60 from anwhere before the end of 'last year'.

Reply to
tinnews

As the original is often printed on a laser printer, there really isn't anything to distinguish the original from a .pdf printed by yourself.

Reply to
djc

Can you get ministatements out of the cash machine?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mini statement provided from my bank only cover the last 6 transactions. So it would be lucky to get a single statement to cover two months salary credits.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Or anything else were you need to "prove" who you are. Great fun if you don't have a passport or photo driving licence.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't know about other banks, but RBS are so keen to get the customers to change to online statements that they offer one-off paper statements for this purpose free at the click of a mouse.

David

Reply to
Lobster

RBS have improved online banking in this respect - it is also possible to go back through several years worht of statements.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We went through this when we got married. Some people gave cheques in our joint names. We went to my bank to add my wife to my account.

She had her passport in our married name, plus our marriage certificate, plus various other bits and pieces and I was there. No go. "We need a drivers licence or utility bill with your current address." "But we've just got married and she's only just moved in. All the bills are in my name and her driving licence is in her maiden name and with her old address." "We can't do it." "What? With me here, her new passport and our marriage certificate?" "No way." Much arguing ensued.

In the end we went accross the road and added me to her account. I obviously had no problems, but asked them what their response would have been in the same circumstances - "Oh the original account holder can fill in one of these slips, vouching for the person they are adding."

For the next 5 years I kept my account open at the first bank, but didn't use it, thus giving them no profit and some costs.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wasn't Barclays was it?

If that had happened to me I'd have closed the account on the spot. Branches really don't like closing accounts, particularly ones with decent cash flow or amounts in them. They have to tell their leading branch why the account was closed...

I suspect it wouldn't have come to closure, unless it was Barclays. Our local branch is hopeless if you actually want to do anything more complicated than pass cash or cheques over the counter. They have to defer everything else to the leading branch in Hexham 20+ miles away. HSBC 200yds down the hill on the other hand has a manager who can do most things or at least get things moving and the forms filled in etc.

Guess which bank branch is on a 3 day week (after a period of only being open 10-2) and which keeps normal banking hours?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice