OT - Old PC - Free Operating System Ideas

I'm using that too. We've been through this before. Go look at:

Tim Streater

If its a standalone client, why write it in PHP?

Python, C, C++ surely? Or mebbe Java.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You told us they are all the same, including Android! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Then I've got three apps to write, one for each platform. And if I can get a browser + javascript to do all the work of presenting to the user, why not. As it is, 99% of the code for three platforms is common. I'm not about to learn how to create windows or render html from scratch, thanks. And PHP is the best language for the backend stuff, anyway.

The best part is that for OS X, where I started this, apache and PHP come as standard, no need to install anything extra. So with less than

2Mbytes of PHP and javascript installed, you get an email client. Can't be bad.
Reply to
Tim Streater

no, write in python for all there?

And if I can

Oh, that's what you are doing?

I think javascript can pull the TZ out for you no sweat.

The Date() function will pull that, and can give you offset from GMT ot timezone name.

As it is, 99% of the code for three platforms is common.

Except for the timezone ;-)

The devil is in the detail.

I was called on to write a program to send and receive telexes *in background* on a DOS 2.2 machine.

The inhouse not really a programmer had written something that almost worked in foreground

However to get background operation required a total rewrite and of course an interrupt driven scheduler. None of the original code was usable. Except as a rough guide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Indeed. Quite a differecne over 1 meg.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The front-end isn't running at that point.

Only on Windows. Getting the *proper* tz is simples on OS X and Linux.

Software managers don't understand this. Which is why I tended to avoid them if at all possible.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No. you told us they were all different!

You don't do irony, do you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes.

Yes!

Ironically, yes to that as well!

Anyway, thanks for the chat, it was fun. ;-)

Have a good 2016.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Get off your lard arse and do that yourself.

Reply to
879

Fuck off Woddles.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Basically you need the register access extension to PHP and thats it.

Its interesting that systemd seems about to create the equivalent of the windowws registry in Linux.

Yuk

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a difference between the packet size set in NFS and the packet size on the network. Unless you specifically enable jumbo frames for the network they will be about 1k5 for ethernet. The NFS data packet will be split into smaller frames over ethernet even at 8k, the switch should have no effect.

I encountered a performance problem with NFS on a specific computer where the data buffer had been set too small to receive more than one 8k data packet. It would be fine for the first packet, the next one would only be partly received resulting in a corrupt frame and NFS would then have to time out and retry. It was fixed by increasing the memory space available for the network chip.

Reply to
dennis

No it doesn?t, but it does make sense to do that if you are already writing some code.

Reply to
879

Bad by design.

I also dunno why when you ask Windows what the

You don't if you get it from where it's supposed to come from, the registry.

Reply to
Mike Lander

Yes.

So you admit its all rubbish and when you talk about windows you don't actually mean any product that you can buy.

Reply to
dennis

It is with Win too, completely trivial to read that value from the registry.

Reply to
879

Fuck off Woddles.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It depends what you want to do with it. Whilst Mint or Ubuntu will work, they may well be a little sluggish. You may want to try a more stripped back distro like Puppy if you want a quick-ish machine.

You can burn any of the ISO files to CD or DVD (depending on size), and the run any of them as Live operating systems (meaning no install necessary).

When you find one you like, the built in installer will offer to get rid of the existing Windows install, or to co-habit with it.

Reply to
Richard Colton

Actually the kernel is the same, and so is X-windows, so there is very little else left to run slow.

But then I havce actually installed these stripped down linuxes on a minimal machine and thrown them away and installed mint. No slower .

As long as you have a GB of RAM Mint will run reasonably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher