OT - Old PC - Free Operating System Ideas

Because for me and XP on this Apple Mini, no other OS (later or otherwise) would do anything for me (that I need) better, and in many cases, worse.

As do I for 'play' machines but as with many people who 'stick' with one OS, they can't afford to lose access to some program or hardware that may not be supported in later / other OS's for 'no reason'.

That's why this XP / Mini is still my daily desktop and *if* I need something that requires OSX, W7 or Linux I can boot to them. :-)

And

Reply to
T i m

Oh, it installed fine. Then I got pissed off with fighting it. The guy who gave me the disc and talked me into giving it a crack had his bath full of old keyboards and old computers stacked up all over his house.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

In other words, you are sick of the sight of it? Fair enough is that. I once binned an old Dell. It worked fine and was fast enough for me after I formatted it. It was in the loft for 6 months, when I pulled it down and plugged it in the screen looked like a mass of scrambled eggs. I messed about, then gave up. When I look back I should have put it back in the loft as I think I now know what the problem was. "Bod" talked me through the format and I learned a lot. Yow Bod :-)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

One of the upsides of linux is I don't usually need to bother with that any more. If it doesn't work, it's easier to just put another disc in. There are lots to choose from.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Happy 2016 you cantankerous old git.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ok.

As in 'ordinary use' or getting stuff like video, network or audio devices working? If it's the latter then I still count that is part of the installation.

Ah (I don't remember you coming here but I have given out a load of Linux CD's ...). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yup, I have burned and booted most of them (I probably have 'hundreds' of Linux boot CD's here now) and many systems might only boot say Puppy and nothing else. ;-(

If I understand it right ... most of the latest distros will be running the (same?) latest Linux kernel and therefore be as likely (or not) to fully run on any particular PC hardware. Running an older distro that has an older kernel (that may actually work) is in principal no / little better than just running the older / unsupported Windows the particular machine was bound to have come with and been 'Designed for'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The last things I am not, is bad-tempered, argumentative, and uncooperative, which is what cantankerous means. I'll accept the "old" part though :-) Happy new year to you & Lynn as well.

Reply to
Bod

Don't remember.

He was a good looking guy that made half decent coffee. Was that you?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Ah, no on both counts then. ;-(

I do have far more 'spare' PC's in the house than I really should and as most won't run Linux I think I'm going to have to just strip them down and recycle them (as few people want anything old, even on Freecycle and if they don't run the latest Linux ...).

We have a fairly local 'refiner' that last time gave me 26 quid for a fairly small box of motherboards and other PCB's taken from all sorts of stuff (like old routers etc).

At least they will end up actually being recycled and I get something back for my efforts. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well yes, because it doesn't come pre-installed (with adware and malware) which is all users seem to be able to cope with these days.

Apparently following simple instructions our using google to solve basic problems is beyond them

Too stupid to DIY, they buy the MS product.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine doesn't even have that, just 256MB RAM essentially to give a longer time on battery until I put a double celled battery in it and never got around to adding more ram to it because it ran Access fine and I only use it in the kitchen and when bottling the beer, updating the beer database.

Mine only gets used in the kitchen and for the beer bottling. I used to play recorded free to air video on it when bottling the beer but don't do that anymore, listen to podcasts on the iphone instead when bottling the beer and doing other boring stuff like that around the house. Much more portable than the laptop and I do that when walking for exercise too.

I have been considering putting the test machine in the kitchen instead, essentially because Access needs to be stopped and started again to allow XP to sleep and it would be more convenient to have instant access to the database in the kitchen at times, particularly when using stuff from the freezer etc.

The main machine is a much better i5 quad core desktop that does everything else, including the PVR. I don't bother with a separate PVR anymore. I used to use the previous main machine for that.

I do it the other way, use the main machine I built a while ago most of the time and only use the XP very limited laptop in the kitchen etc and then only as effectively a terminal for the main machine.

Don't get any of those either, but do have to do a full restart every few months because I just sleep that machine normally.

I run them all, mainly because some do some thing better than others. I use IE too, mainly for the very deep screens like in the facebook buy sell swap groups where the right mouse button menu in the vertical scroll bar can be handy. For some reason no other browser has that and I so use it quite a bit on stuff like Access so its handy in the browser too.

Yeah, don't use it at all. Have been considering getting it just for doing iOS apps.

I normally only do that on foreign machines which have got their drive comprehensively scrambled. Can be handy for recovery of those.

I don't bother, just let them pile up. Hardly anyone wants to use a desktop anymore, they are all into at least laptops and quite a few don't even have one of those anymore, they use their phone exclusively.

Yeah, particularly wifi that so many use now to the router.

I do myself on the old XP laptop and obviously do with the tablets and phones.

I'm quite capable of doing that but have much better things to do with hardware I am discarding. Essentially because I would be the one who has to keep it working even if I could find someone who actually wanted one of my obsolete desktops.

I can do all that stuff myself but have better things to do with my time.

And you'd be the one who has to fix it when they f*ck it up.

Its bad enough getting them going on their new laptop and then eventually whining about it being too slow now.

Fortunately they are now so cheap that few turn a hair about replacing it with a new one, even those on benefits etc.

A bigger problem is kids dropping their tablets and phones, particularly the ones like the Samsung Galaxy Tabs which need almost a complete disassembly with a heat gun to replace the screen which doesn't cost much for the screen itself. Bet that was done like that deliberately to encourage people to just dump it and buy a new one.

Reply to
jack

What makes you think its 'more bloated'?

bug fixes often result in smaller code..

You are simply showing your ignorance of how upgrades work with Linux (Mint). I cant help feeling for some reason you want to *prove* that windows is better, even where it isn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why did you fight it?

I have almost no old computers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most people want to use applications not continually install an OS.

Reply to
dennis

Mine just go at the end of the drive, the pikey scrap man takes them away. He even took a 90% plastic lawnmower a few years ago. I've 4 desktops in the loft that work, one is as fast as this one. I'll keep them as I like to hoard things. Got a laptop on Windows 95 as well. Yours if you want it?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Because it would not cooperate.

I once took the F12 key out of a lap top and made it fit into a W7 lap top.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why do Linux users always insult people? Are you a cyclist or a cat owner?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Gridwatch the site runs on 384MB of RAM

It takes over a million hots a day.