OT - Old PC - Free Operating System Ideas

Good grief? I just want my computers to do a bloody job for me, and I pick what works best.

I spent too many years comparing operating systems and having to support assorted junk. No thanks.

For my purposes Linux got better than windows when I still had Win 98 installed,.

Why on earth woiuld I want to run windows ever agian unless I absolutely had to?

That's why I keep a rusty old XP VM going, and have wine. So I don't have to run windows natively ever again.

And every time XP crashes, I remember that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've edited that to make more sense

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would you need windows in a virtual machine, you said linux does everything including what windows does.

On the other hand windows can do all of what linux does as it can run the same applications. Most of the useful open source software has been written to run on windows and linux if you hadn't noticed. There isn't as much difference between windows and linux as you appear to think there is. They are both just a set of libraries that run on a kernel that does similar functions. Why do you think WINE works if there are big differences?

Reply to
dennis

So yet again all your windows doesn't work very well is based on decades old stuff. I have news for you linux didn't work very well decades ago.

Go and buy a win 10 machine so you actually get a clue.

Reply to
dennis

Everything except run two legacy programs I need very occasionally., 3D CAD and Corel X12.

Ther are alternatives to Corel I could uise, but I am familar with it, so I have a crappy old XP in a VM to run.

Fortunately it boots in under three seconds in a n X-window, which is about the time it takes to load up firefox, so its only ised when I need it.

Well actually it cant.

Some, not all. And even then they run wosre 'mysql and apache wont work properly on windows' etc etc.

Hahaha. Wine has taken 5 years to MOSTLY run. And they have reverse engineered several hundred MB of windows libraries.

But that of course is the point, you can run windows inside Linux without a full VM, but you cant run Linux inside windows. Without a full VM.

And if they are so similar, why the huge negative reactions from the windows fanbois?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I did. Buy one. I booted it up into windows 10 - that took about half an hour answering 'no' to all the 'do you want this spyware installed' questions, so that could run the one program I needed to change the boot order to DVD first. That's because the bloke In PC world didn't know which key to hold down on boot to enter the very limited bios. Its f12.

I found that out on a linux site later.

So I could install Linux.

It was frankly quite awful. I felt sad that basically not bad hardware was running such toy software.

Its a fairly decent performer now with mint MATE installed.

All I can say about windows 10 is that no one who has used a decent Linux would ever want to have it on a desk/laptop. I guess its ok on a slab, But I never needed one of those.

I suppose if all you do is internet shopping and soshul meeja windows 10 is OK for you. I do more.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have Win7 running in a VirtualBox VM, and Mint running in another. Well, I say running. They are off unless I need to test my software in either OS.

By the way Dennis and T i m : since you claim to be Windows hotshots, how do I ask Win7 to tell my PHP script which timezone the machine is running in? Easy in OS X, turned out to be easy in Mint too (I must be a genius, eh, since I found out how to do it in Linux despite knowing nothing about it).

So far no amount of giggling and poking around has revealed an answer, so if you know, I'd appreciate hearing about it. As it is, I have to hardwire it thus:

$timezone = "Europe/London";

and suggest to the user that they edit that line of code to suit. Not ideal. If the answer is: open and read this one-line-file at this path, then that would be great. Even running a cmd script or program that puts the answer out on stdout would do, too, but I'm afraid the registry is a non-starter.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Good for you?

Good for you?

Good for you?

You won't ... but who is suggesting you should (certainly not me)?

Bwhahaha ... you *are* so funny mate ... you 'don't run XP' but actually run XP in a VM (so that doesn't count you are saying). Oh, you do make me laugh!

You remember how poor you were at setting up XP properly?

Cheers, T i m (running XP for another day and still no crashes ...).

Reply to
T i m

Ding!

The answer is of course that in fact Linux *doesn't* do all he needs or he would just be using Linux wouldn't he. I think he's been thrown out of the local LUG and so carries on his arm thrashing advocacy here (without realising he is still very much a Windows user apparently). ;-)

That is certainly the case here.

Well, there is, every piece of hardware and software you see in the shops says 'Designed for Windows' on it (and often scant / no mention of Linux anywhere). Linux, what's that then? ;-)

Quite. Apparently ... running a Windows program or even Windows itself (in a VM) *isn't* actually running Windows .... .

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And windows doesn't do all i need either. So that's why I run the better operating system as a sandpit for the toy one

It is not the case here by a LONG chalk.

And that means what exactly? That people see no profit in putting linux on it, and were not paid to put a sticker on it that says 'linux compatible' but were paid to put a sticker in it that says 'windows runs ok, and intel inside'

Nowhere anywhere does it say that my toshiba laptop, latest, brand new, windows 10 installed is 100% linux compatible. Yet it is.

Nowhere does it say that my brand new HP laserjet M252n is 100% linux compatible, and yet it is,.

Vebasei no one has PAID them to say that,

Well no it isn't.

For a start the whole 'disk' its running off is simply a LINUX file, and can be backed up like any other linux file.

So if you do that, and windows tears itself to its usual set of incompatible crap, catches a virus ort some other malware, you simply go into virtual box and say 'restore from snapshot' and its back to where it was in less than 10 seconds.

And because the state of te whole virtual machine itself can be stored in another file, it takes less than three seconds top restore a fully working windows from no windows ay all.

Since my linux boots now in less than 10 seconds, and its only 3 more to load windows, on this machine, its faster than booting windows - the windows 10 machine took over a minute to come up from cold.

Unacceptable.

Every corporate IT department is wrapping windows servers up in VMs because they run better that way, are less prone to cause damnage elsewhere ande can be more easily backed up, and its cheaper. Its a stop gap till they can get rid of windows servers altogether, which is the current trend, They are building private corporate clouds on Linux a servers, usually on top of hypervisors, these days.

That's a bit overkill for home use, but some of us are thinking of it

Windows is a crappy legacy app that runs under Linux. For the two things I need that don't run on Linux itself. and boy its a far better experience in a virtual machine than it ever was native. I cant use NFS easily under windows, but I don't have to, it sees the NFS mounted drives on my linux home partiton as part of its native network.

Hooray, I dont have t deal with windowss networking issues anymore at all!

AS Dennis said, Windows is just a set of libraries that allow me to run a windows application in Linux, as is Wine.

And both virtual box and Wine don't actually (need to) run windows at all. Not as a user interface or desktop. You can simply use it as a wrapper to allow the application to run in its own window inside a pure linux environment.

As i've never tried to deny, legacy windows apps are useful. The point being you don't need to run windows, to run windows programs, so why would you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Windows 10 doesn't ask those questions so I doubt if you really have done any such thing. About the only things it asks are for machine name, workgroup, user name and what defaults you want to use on the browser (to satisfy EU requirements).

Pretty dumb of you not to look in the manual or on the manufacturers site.

Do more to achieve less.

Reply to
dennis

Well actually which ones can't it. Its likely that there is no reason for the application so nobody can be bothered to recompile it. Most of the applications are trying to imitate a windows application anyway so windows users just use the original.

Have you told the people using them that? They don't appear to know.

Well there you are, that is the point, you never need to run linux on a windows machine as it doesn't do anything that windows can't. So nobody has bothered to do it. However linux users need to run windows so badly that they have invested huge efforts to do so. If you think that means linux is better then you really do have a problem.

because windows fanbois are like you, idiots that know nothing.

Reply to
dennis

I have never set up XP. Its as it was from a vanilla install.

Remember Its in a VM to run just tow or three programs. Beyond that I have no use for it.

But it serves to highlight the deficiencies of Windows XP at least. When the 3D CAD which is full of bugs crashes - and its possible to reliably crash it by feeding it a surface that is just too much detail, it generally takes XP with it.

In Linux when a program crashes, I can kill it from elsewhere.

Only if the window manager crashes will linux need a reboot and maybe not even then - its possible to restart hte window manage alone.

You obviously have very simple requirements.

I can crash XP in a minute if I run up RhinoCad and create some particularly nasty curves...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello.

We do? I've not seen any such claim from either of us! ;-)

I haven't got a clue (but do sort of understand the question). ;-)

Sweet. But hang on, BSD and Linux are both similar (*nixes?) right so you *do* actually know more about it (both) than I (as I don't know either that well)?

Whoosh ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have neither win 7 or php on any windows machine but it sounds like a php problem as other programs know what the TZ is. Have you read the manual for the version of php you are using? At the least you should be able to use php.ini.

Reply to
dennis

I can't expect the user to edit php.ini, now, can I? It's bad enough having to tell them to edit one of my PHP files.

And in a way, yes, it is a PHP problem. After some version of PHP, before you could use PHP's time-related functions, it suddenly was necessary to tell PHP what the time zone is, otherwise it crashed the script (with a nice message, but that's no use to me either). That new version of PHP came with some OS X update or new system version, I forget which, but I suddenly had to poke around to find out how to

*get* that info and then call the relevant PHP function to set it. Once I did that the status quo ante was restored, but under Win7 I still haven't solved that.

And no, I couldn't ignore the issue either (e.g. by telling the user to use an older version of PHP).

Reply to
Tim Streater

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will quit and restart X if you manage to get it into a weird state. HTH.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

No its not, that is where you should be getting that from. Completely trivial to get the value of a particular setting from there with a trivial bit of code.

Reply to
879

So show me the code, then, Woddles. Show me how I can wire it into a PHP script.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

There is a command line utility in Windows TZUTIL

(it says windows 8/server 2012 but it seems to work here on my windows 7 box)

Would that work for you?

It seems to return just a string saying 'xyx standard time' or whatever, so whether or not that will suffice for you, or whether you would then need to do something else to use it with PHP I don't know

Reply to
Chris French