OT - Nexus 7 tablet - sold out? X-post

Before Xmas there was a lot of hype about competition in the 7" tablet arena, and wide predictions of a price war.

Now I am Googling for the Nexus 7 32GB and the cheapest I can see it is £199.99 (original suggested selling price) and most places it is out of stock. Even the 16 GB seems to be £189.99 as opposed to the cheaper prices advertised when the 32GB was launched.

Anyone know what is goiong on here?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I don't recall ever seeing them *under* Google's price

In stock from Google Play store

Even the 16 GB seems to be £189.99 as opposed to the cheaper prices

Google's price is £159, but they're out of stock. Maybe those selling it at £189 bought them when the 8GB was £159 and the 16GB was £199 and are reluctant to take much of a hit?

Hoping the pogo dock goes on sale next week ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

PC World were out of stock of these yesterday when I went in to buy a Samsung Chromebook.

Not a place I usually shop, but same price everywhere and to be fair the young sales lad was very well informed, and they had a nice case at a sensible price.

Interestingly, PCW was almost deserted compared to John Lewis, where the computer/tablet section was packed. And they were only selling chomebooks on-line: nothing on display.

Probably now looking for a Nexus 7 myself: wife has taken to chromebook like duck to water so I may not get a look-in.

Reply to
newshound

Does it have to be a Nexus 7? Take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab II

7.0. I have the 8GB WiFi only one, works very well for my use of web and= email on the move. now has Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean?). I don't store movies or music on it so 8GB is ample. =A3179 from Tesco!
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I treated myself to an Archos7 8gb for £59 (Tesco outlet). Mainly being used as a big screen mp3 player in the kitchen. Android 2.1 alas, but that doesn't bother me

Reply to
stuart noble

I bought the Galaxy Tab II 10.1 since I thought the screen was a bit small on the Nexus 7. £238 + £50 cashback :-)

Reply to
Mark

Have been waiting for a 7" Note to come out. The stylus is *very* appealing to partner.

Reply to
polygonum

Where did you get this, please?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Currys/PC World. It's gone up there now but is still available at that price from Amazon. Sadly the cashback offer is no longer.

Reply to
Mark

Nice, overall, price, less than I paid for my Tab II 7.0. That was bough= t just before the Nexus 7 was released as I wanted something then not if a= week or three... I did handle 10" tablets but found them "unbalanced" in= the hand. The 7" sits nicely in/on the hand in landscape mode, they are =

also a little bit lighter. Both things important when using in the hand =

for a long period.

I don't find the 7" screen too small, it's fine for web and email and much better than the 4" or so on my iPAQ.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Not really helpful but

I've just acquired a Motorola Xoom 32 gig.

Funny thing is it has a slot for a SIM card, but I'm sure its just the Wi-Fi only version. Shame that didn't work. Going to see if a Dongle works in it.

Reply to
Borg

Demand exceeds supply?

My wife haunted the John Lewis web site every day for a week in order to advise Santa of their availability. When we went in to the local branch to get a case for it (Santa having forgotten about that), they had lots of Nooks, Samsungs, Kindles and Surfaces with customers clustered 2 deep around them, and an Apple section almost totally devoid of customers. Not a Nexus in sight!

Cracking piece of kit though, I love it.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

So whats so special about nexus ... Surely only useful for browsing and a bit of email ?

Reply to
London2013

They're decent tablets at a good price.

If you don't know what sort of things tablets are used for by now, you probably won't be interested in being given a list. But ask, and one shall be provided.

Cheers - Jaimie

Reply to
Jaimie Vandenbergh

Nothing in particular in comparison with other tablets, except that it has a very good spec for the price and doesn't try to lock you in to one hardware supplier.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

I'll second that. Galaxy Tab 2 also has an SD card slot, so storage can be expanded. The Nexus 7 is lacking certain key features such as SD card slot, HDMI out, USB OTG (although the last can be achieved with 3rd party software/patches or rooting the device).

Reply to
Andrew

Any one tried this ?

Rob

> Rob

Looks a pretty good spec, at a pretty good price. Key thing is it supports Android Marketplace - a lot of the cheap ones don't. You have placed temptation in my way :-)

MicroSD to 32Gb MicroUSB to support external storage Seperate DC in port so you don't have to use the USB.

Ah - some of the comments are interesting, including shipping, out of date Android version, and some outstanding firmware problems with video playback. Despite the '.co.uk' website, is this shipped directly from China? Whois doesn't give much information apart from a Reading postcode. Domain has been registered for just over a year. From

"I would give it as miss, in china, just looks a bit dodgy to me.

"Arbitration

where the parties fail to settle dispute within 30 days after such dispute occurs, they agree to submit such dispute to China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission for arbitration which shall be conducted in accordance with the Commission's arbitration rules in effect at the time of applying for arbitration. The arbitral awards are final and binding upon both parties""

O.K. my initial enthusiasm for the supplier is now waning quite a bit - although the tablet itself looks promising. Not available via Amazon yet, though. I would only deal through a reputable UK supplier with a strong refund policy, having had recent problems with a China based supplier who delivered the wrong stuff then diappeared of the map. Fortunately I had ordered through Amazon Marketplace so got a refund via their disputes process.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Whereas most Samsung devices need rooting just to get USB Mass Storage, so transferring files to and from them is tedious, especially if you're not familiar with the SDK.

Kindle Fire HD is another good competitor. Apparently the Nexus is slightly better in most areas but the Kindle has better speakers. The de-Googling isn't really a problem, I think you can easily install the Play Store app etc.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Haven't rooted my Tab II, just bought a 3rd party kit of bits for so transferring files to and from them is tedious, especially if you'r= e

I mostly use an app (es file manager) and just copy stuff across the Wif= i from a SMB share.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice