OT - Nexus 7 tablet - sold out? X-post

I've an official Samsung kit that does the same for my Note 10.1.

There is an official Samsung HDMI kit that plugs into the 30-pin port on the device and takes power from the normal charging cable (can't apparently be run on the tablet's own power). I don't have it, but it exists.

That's what I do ... or use the micro-SD card to move files.

Actually, my Note 10.1 (Jelly Bean) *does* seem to try to support USM, but it only manages to show the top-level directories of the mounted volumes, not their contents (this is on Linux). I haven't quite got my head around that ... it may be a udev permissions issue?

So far I've always found it easier to just use ES than worry about it!

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Having been given a Kindle Fire HD as Xmas bonus at work I would not recommend one as a general purpose "tablet" as you are, AFAICT, limited to apps that Amazon want to sell you. Fine as an e-reader I suppose but I much prefer a proper book or magazine to read.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Really? I'm sure I read that you can install Google Play and therefore get access to all their apps too. Maybe it needs rooting for Play to work, but even if so you should be able to manually install pretty much any standard Android app.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

I don't yet have a Kindle Fire, but the reading I've done seems to indicate that yes, with a little tweaking, you _can_ install 'outside' apps.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Back to Google Nexus.

The Google Play site displays a total of 7 Nexus devices.

Five are listed as 'out of stock'.

Do we assume that Google stuff is so fantastic that they just fly off the shelf, no matter how many they build?

Or are they just cr@p at getting their act sorted?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well, I've got two Samsung devices, a phone & a tablet and neither of them need rooting to get USB mass storage to work.

Reply to
Mark

It depends on the model. My Tab 8.9 and S3 would both need rooting and a third party app, but when I discussed this before someone said their S2 has UMS as an option built-in, even after upgrading to Jelly Bean. I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the lack of UMS is something they introduced for newer devices than the S2, so the Tab 2 range isn't likely to support it.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

I went for one of these before Christmas - Currys/PCworld were selling them for 158, with 50 quid cash back - 179 looks excessive for 8Gb. It does take and SD card which is nice for extra storage

Only just applied for the cashback so will have to wait and see what materializes - had some offer appear for a further 30 quid cashback from samsung too after filling in the forms on line, which was a bit of a pain to find serial numbers, exact model no, exact model of case I bought...then would not accept pdf upload of receipt so had to convert to jpg ... just waiting for them to come back after it has all expired telling me that was not a o in the serial number it was of course a zero....

Anyone successfully went through the currys cashback scheme?

cheers

David

Reply to
David

The Tab 2 does support USB mass storage. I've just tested it.

Reply to
Mark

I think that was I ... but I seem to have misled you. My S2 is still on ICS.

My Note 10.1 table is on JB, and that does not have UMS ... well, it sorta seems to, but although I can see top-level folders on the phone from a desktop file manager (Nautilus in Gnome 2 is what I've tried) I can't see inside the folders (?).

It may be that what I'm seeing is actually MTP with some of the client support missing -- I believe it's not all standard in Ubuntu Lucid ... but I haven't had the time or the inclination to look into that. ... I might a have a play later, as it's clearly of interest ...

It doesn't work from here (XP) either, though here I get a message telling me that software support is missing from the client (PC) and suggesting that I install Kies (which is execrable ... but is actually installed!)

I believe the issue is that UMS requires the volume to be unmounted on the phone, whereas MTP and PTP can be used without unmounting the flash volume from Android.

If MTP actually worked without requiring special client software it might be an acceptable solution ... though I gather the MTP interface doesn't give as much information about the files on the device, nor as much control over them.

Wikipedia tells me that MTP support is built-in in Windows Vista (and later?) but only in XP if Windows Media Player 10 (or later?) is installed. (Windows Media Player is NOT installed here.)

The section headed "Drawbacks" in WP is also interesting ... good reason to want good old-fashioned UMS, if you ask me!

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James

Or perhaps I misremembered. I know it was definitely a version that was newer than what S2s were originally sold with.

Nautilus does seem to attempt to use MTP as a virtual file system, but it didn't work properly for me either with Debian unstable recently. On Googling I found (IIRC) an Ubuntu bug report or forum post blaming it on Samsung because they've mucked around with the protocol.

WP?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

That's right. Vodafone promised me the new phone would be on ICS but it arrived with Gingerbread and I had trouble upgrading it (eventually followed the advice of a Vodafone engineer to do all things that everyone else said I shouldn't do because it might invalidate the warranty ... and that worked).

Oh, great!

Sorry, here's the rest:

_iki_edia

That is:

to do with _ord_erfect or _ord_ress ... or even _indows _hone!)

Cheers, Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel James