OT: MOT reminder

Up until last year, I received a reminder that my MOT was due, and it gave me the first date on which I could have it done, and still preserve the old MOT date. This year, nothing, I just remembered it, as today is the date that I can get it done. Is it just that my reminder got lost in the post, or have they stopped sending them out?

Reply to
Davey

ISTR having to opt-in (an pay for it? Or was that if you wanted an SMS?)

Thankfully the MOT place I use send you a postcard.

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 14 Jan 2015, Davey grunted:

Apart from postcards from my garage, just touting for business, I've never received an official reminder in my life.

A Yahoo calendar, which emails me an annual reminder, works for me.

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

Or you could just go for 9 months without an MOT as the other half's 26 year old Volvo did last year. The reminder was the tax being due.

Reply to
Nick

In message , Nick writes

When we got another car once, the tax and MOT were out of sync and I forgot about the MOT for a few months. Then the car got stolen and the insurance payout was reduced by 10% because of it.

Nowadays I put all such things on the Google Calendar. I've never had any sort of offical reminder (only seen the option of an SMS), though my garage send out reminders about a month in advance

Reply to
Chris French

I never opted in for this, it just came, and I don't want an SMS, thank you. I receive them as robot-speak on my landline, which I hate. I get the option of saving the message, but I have no idea how to retrieve it later.

Reply to
Davey

I got the car it's first MOT with me in Jan. 2011, then received reminders from DVLA in 2012, 2013 and 2014, so I didn't bother to put it on my PC's calendar. It's also due just before license renewal, which had put me on internal 'sometime about now' alert. I have already received the renewal reminder.

Reply to
Davey

I expect that with ANPR all over the place you would soon be hauled over by the police.

Reply to
GB

Only MOT reminders I've ever had was from an individual garage who did the MOT last time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As somebody else mentioned, you can opt-in for this service, so I wonder if the previous owner had done so, and it was inadvertently transferred to me.

Whatever, it's now in my diary.

Reply to
Davey

In article , Davey writes

You can opt out of receiving text to speech messages on BT landlines:

"Dial 0800 587 5252 from the landline you want to stop receiving text messages on.

During the call you will be presented with the following options;

Standard curfew: turn off messages sent between 11pm to 8am Watershed curfew: turn off messages sent between 9pm to 9am Late night curfew: turn off messages sent between Midnight and 6am Turn off receiving ALL messages Anytime (no curfew): allows you to receive text to speech messages at anytime of the day or night"

Reply to
fred

Wasn't it a paid for service? Perhaps your CC or debit card used to pay for the service has expired?

Reply to
alan_m

I never asked for it, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, it might have been a hold-over from a/the previous owner.

Reply to
Davey

No, you didn't. DVLA have _never_ sent MOT reminders. Apart from anything else, MOT's aren't DVLA's responsibility - they're VOSAs, but they don't send them either. The garage who did your last MOT might send a reminder, as a marketing ploy, but they're the only people who ever will or have sent MOT reminders.

Issuing first windscreen stickers, then a peel-off bit of the certificate, was a very good move. Shame it was so short-lived.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Davey writes

Anyway, the VOSA MOT SMS reminders are charged to the mobile phone at the time you register for the service (and it's an annual thing.

Reply to
Chris French

I use a 'Filofax' type prog on the computer. Allows you to enter anniversaries (with any notes you may need) and also allows you to set an early warning. Very useful for things like MOTs and insurance. And also to note how much the premium cost for the insurance without having to search for the old paperwork.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you opt out fully, do you know if the failure of the message is communicated to the sender? My dentist uses this method for reminders and a I don't do mobiles/texts so they send to my landline. They claim the service is run by an intermediary and they cannot stop them sending texts to patients.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I don't want to stop them, as sometimes they have useful information, such as an impending delivery (although not by City Link any more). I just wish the disembodied voice told me how to retrieve the messages at a later time. It allows me to save them for a day, but gives no info. about accessing them. I will try your link, in case it helps.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

According to this page (and I assume this is the service we are talking about)

If you have voicemail then it will get stored on that like other messages, other wise ring 0845 602 1111

Reply to
Chris French

I found that myself, but thanks anyway. I don't have voicemail, nor even BT, so I will keep the number handy. But I wish the service that sends the message would tell me that when it offers to save it for me (for 24 hrs max!).

Reply to
Davey