OT MOT Advisories

It was originally only applied to 25 year old vehicles, but the legislation was in place to reduce it to 10 years.

Since it was introduced (late 50s?) I've only seen old bangers fall apart in Northern Ireland, where the test was introduced much later.

Reply to
<me9

With the computerised system there is less scope for the dodgy garage taking 25 notes and giving you a certificate without even seeing the car...

Aye, you only have to visit a country where they don't have any vehicle inspection to see and travel in some things held together with gaffer tape and string, tyres down to the threads, brakes that barely work etc etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And its a way of getting work loading in your shop up of course with a quuck, but expensive brake disc change..

Whilst leaving nastire work un remartked..

My camper had a exhust manifold leak for three years: it never failed its MOT but driving for a while I always got a headache. Eventaully I asked the place that MOTs it to fix it. Toook them three days to get the exhaust manifold off, extracting every broken rusted stud as they went. cost £400. Now runs great and no more headaches. But it wasn't apparently an MOT failure

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No comment :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BUT by and large they still do serve to get goods and people from A to B.

Yes, its probably a lower limit in that seriously crap bangers no longer get to run on the roads, but its no guarantee of serviceability or proper maintenance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Happened on my Mk 2 Cortina many years ago. They were noted for it.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I remember a bloke I worked with had that happen on the motorway in his Marina. Being a Welsh gold miner he wasn't short of brawn, so he hammered it back into some sort of shape with his fist, tied it down with something and went on his way.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Skipweasel

And from another angle...

Skipweasel

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll take it in and keep my fingers crossed.

Reply to
Wesley

Only as good as the MOT tester :)

Reply to
Pete

I'm sure he mean't whilst he was on aprovate road/track.

Reply to
Pete

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

sounds to cover it.

Reply to
Adrian

Bruntingthorpe.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Ireland before the introduction of the NCT (National Cat Test). Although the inscos usually asked for an engineer's report on the state of a vehicle, it wasn't a foolproof system, and many right old shitheaps were on the roads.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Skipweasel saying something like:

He must love living by the sea, by the look of that thing. I can barely recognise it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon