OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Nope. 100% incorrect.
writes

--
geoff

LOL there Maxie.
IMM wrote:

I see., You are talking from personal experience here, not blind stupid prejudice of course.

You have demonstrated that you are not an engineer. Or a scientist, and can't do maths, or construct a grammatically correct and intelligble sentence.
Yep. A computer scientist without a doubt!

LOL. Such fun.
Can I ask a serious question regarding TFT's? I am looking to purchase one (17") and wonder what I should be looking for in the specs, contrast ratio, brightness cd/m2, etc, means nowt to me. Is a higher figure better than a lower figure? Any pointers in this directoin are welcome. Incedently I am considering either the Ilyama 430S or the Axive S730 www.avixe.com/PRODUCT_S730.ASP
Thanks in advance
John
RichardS wrote:

Yes, but teh BA course is of MA standard.

Yerrr! Sure it is! Is that what they told you?

IMM wrote:

No, its what every body else told me.

Snotty uni people of course.

Plus resisting the temptation to rape the bursar for that couple of years. After that it's OK.
Steve Firth wrote:

Temptation? You haven't SEEN the bursar.
Neither have I to be honest...

little power, Linux kernels do this as do the latest MS ones I believe.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Frying chips?
Seriulsy, POC's don't 'idle' - they are either more or less shut down with teh clock stopped, or running at teh same curent they always run at. About 50-200W depending on things like what cards are in them and how many disc drives are permanently rotating.
CPU typically takes a few amps on its own.

Not correct. The standard transistor types in a computer consume power when switching to overcome latent capacitance, but have low quiescent currents when not doing so. Modern computer equipment is specifically designed to slow down and avoid switching unnecessarily, meaning that power consumption drops when nothing much is happening. The power consumption drops markedly when you have idle CPU cycles.
It isn't like the old TTL logic, where the has to be constant current flow through a resistor, making the power consumption pretty constant, or related to state.
Christian.

PCs with AMD or Intel chips in, anyway.
I am looking to buy a TFT (17") and would like some advice as the 'jargon' means nothing to me i.e. contrast ratio, cd/m2 etc.etc. What should I look for in these items? I am only looking at a budget of 350 tops what should I go for and are there any manufacturers/models to avoid? I was looking at either a Philips 170S4 or the Liyama 430-B both in black. I would really like one with a thin outer edge (bezel??), not bothered about integral speakers.
TIA
John

Well, simply contrast ratio is (AFAIK) the difference between light and dark that it can handle. Smaller values are worse I believe. From what I remember when I was looking, 250:1 ratio is the about what you see on cheap TFT displays. 300:1 and higher for more expensive ones.
cd/m2 is candelas per m2 where candela is a unit of measurement of light. Higher values mean its brighter. Cheaper displays tend to have lower values.
350 should be a good price to start looking with. I was able to find a few 17" TFT's for just under 300 with plenty more appearing above the 300 bracket. I would suggest you restrict yourself to resolutions of 1280x1024 which is common for that sort of price - though you can still find 1024x768 displays for that price.
John wrote:

Obviously I'm biased so bear that in mind, but...
If your budget is 350, *do not* buy a 17" TFT. Or at least first take a good look at 19" flat CRTs selling at the same price, or a bit less. You will be gobsmacked by the difference.
--
Grunff

less than 350, I think they're under 200 now.