OT - Monitors - TFT v. CRT

Page 1 of 10
Not the most appropriate news group, but certainly the most well informed bunch of people.
I feel like I'm going crazy - the whole world is telling me I should be buying TFTs, yet I still want to buy high quality flat tube CRTs.
Am I alone in this? Am I the only one who finds that the finer dot pitch, the higer light output and the faster screen response of a good CRT pisses all over that of a TFT (which may have cost twice as much)? Am I the only one who doesn't care that a 19" CRT takes up a large amount of room, and consumes 50W more than a 17" TFT??
Rant over. Thanks for reading.
--
Grunff

I hate using the new machines in the office because they all have new TFT screens. I'm also about to take the one in my office and throw it out the window because I can't move around and view the screen in all its glory because the damn thing changes colours and can't be viewed properly from all other angles.
I'm with you on this one Mr Grunff. :-))

all

They must be cheap crappy panels then!
If you compare a high quality CRT to a cheap nasty TFT, then of course there will be a huge difference
If you compare a high quality CRT to a high quality TFT, then the difference will be a lot less
Not saying TFT's are better, you just have to compare like with like here.
And as it has been suggested, what you are doing on the screen has a lot in deciding the thing to buy! (...and the available space on you desk!)
Sparks...

I`m quite happy with my "refurbished" Sony 17" that I picked up for 99+VAT from www.digiuk.com a few months ago (although it looks like they`re not normally doing refurbed CRTs now, but they do have a selection of TFTs)
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email * old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam * --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

I'm very happy with my slightly used IBM 19" that I picked up off ebay for 50.
--
</Slugsie>

| > I hate using the new machines in the office because they all have new TFT | > screens. I'm also about to take the one in my office and throw it out the | > window because I can't move around and view the screen in all its glory | > because the damn thing changes colours and can't be viewed properly from | all | > other angles. | | They must be cheap crappy panels then! | | If you compare a high quality CRT to a cheap nasty TFT, then of course there | will be a huge difference | | If you compare a high quality CRT to a high quality TFT, then the difference | will be a lot less | | Not saying TFT's are better, you just have to compare like with like here. | | And as it has been suggested, what you are doing on the screen has a lot in | deciding the thing to buy! | (...and the available space on you desk!) | | Sparks... | |
As I told the rep' that sold us them, " They are the highest spec' of crap I've ever seen ". He wasn't to pleased to hear I didn't like mine. They cost a wapping 499.99 each incl' VAT, and you can't look at them at any other angle than straight on, or they either change colours or look as if they've gone blank.
I'm personally going for a Cathode Tube Monitor again. The TFT thing I've got now drives me crazy, especially when I turn it round for other people to look at, and then they tell me they can't see it properly.
Definitely the highest specification crap I've come across. :-))

I've ever seen ". He wasn't to

incl' VAT, and you can't look at

look as if they've gone blank.
Some screens are designed that way. They are ideal for use in places like banks, where you don't want people seeing the screen except from straight ahead. The ones I use have a viewing angle of 160 degrees and three people sitting side by side can easily see what is on the screen.
Colin Bignell

I use an NEC 18" TFT - it has the same viewable area as a 19" CRT and cost just over 400. Unfortunately it has a wide enough viewing angle that my wife can see when I'm looking at what I shouldn't be. It knocks spots off the 3 19" CTR monitors I have.
--
geoff

... and is over twice the price I should think.

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

I should think so.
--
geoff

Chris Oates <none> wrote:

Yes, I have a 19", flat, CRT display too. A TFT of the same size that will do 1600x1200 (which I do run it at) would still cost a very great deal more than the CRT one.

You must have good eyesight then, cos I can't read the writing under the icons at that resolution :-) And my monitor is 20 inches. Or do you only use that res for games (I hope, or I'm going blind)
Dave

Dear Dave dreadfully sorry but your are going blind 1600x1200 is lurverly (I'm short sighted)
I'd go higher but the monitor won't take it.
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

So am I, but...... It's just that bit too far.

I've just had a go at the higher resolutions and I'm quite impressed. Particularly when I changed the icon text size. The highest my monitor will go is 1600 by 1200. I can go as high as 2048 by 1536, but it falls to pieces and I have to default to something lower :-(
I'll have a better play later in the week, when I have more time,
Dave

You can change the size of the writing to whatever you want, it's not dictated by the resolution.

... but not if you compare price for price still, the TFT will be much more expensive.

What sort of like with like, same price or same 'quality' whatever that is?

Space would be the main reason for me buying a TFT screen.

No. I love LCDs. The only problem is that I work at 1600x1200 and can't afford one.
Christian.
[23 lines snipped]

Crap TFT. What make is it?

[16 lines snipped]

Hear, hear. I bought some 200 a few years ago for a trading room refit, and we just got all the vendors to send a sample, set them up in a row and let the traders try them, then vote for which one they wanted.
On 16 Dec 2003 12:19:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

The one with the hook to hang their red braces? ;-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl