OT: Message from Ancestry.com

"Hi, you have 5 new hints."

"Our hint system is temporarily offline. During this time, hint notifications may not appear and existing hints may be inaccessible. We thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue."

Especially useful since I stopped contributing about 6 months ago.

Reply to
Davey

Assuming you constructed or uploaded your tree in Ancestry, it will remain in their database, and they will send you irritating reminders regardless of whether your subscription is up to date, even if you check the box (or whatever you have to do) that says you don't want hints. It's a way of trying to attract you back to pay a bit more subscription.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , Davey writes

Marginally related ... got an email from Amazon yesterday telling me that Terry Pratchett will be bringing out the 5th book in the Long Earth series at the end of this month. Only if you click on the link does it mention some bloke called Stephen Baxter as co-author. He's presumably able to auto-transcribe for someone 15 months dead. The book listing also gives two 5 star reviews just below a statement saying you can't leave reviews yet because it isn't published.

Reply to
Nick

I am glad that it does, as I got to the point where I realised that it had run out of information for me, so I cancelled. A few months later, I had put together some more information, and so re-joined for one month, and I was able to solve three different 'Missing Link" problems.

There is still one big gap in my family history, so I will leave the account dormant just in case I fend some new data that warrants re-opening it. But these Hint e-mails do annoy me!

Reply to
Davey

Sigh. Learn how to filter emails in your particular application so that "Ancestry" emails go to a folder called "Ancestry" which you can then look at when you feel the need to research your roots. Similarly, filter "Aunty Maud's" emails to a folder called "Aunty Maud", etc. It isn't really that hard.

Reply to
Richard

I use it occasionally, having some years ago 'completed' my tree back to about 1770 (further back than that, once you lose the census data and get into Old Parish Registers, it becomes too uncertain to justify the effort IMO).

On the subscription thing I take out a one-month subscription, as you do, and then cancel it a couple of days later, otherwise they will continue charging your card for subsequent months (at least, they used to). You don't get your money back, you still get your one month subscription, but there's no risk of them rolling it over month after month. IMO it's a dirty trick, reminiscent of some book clubs and the like!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You can sigh at me too! How would I do that sort of thing in T'bird. I don't immediately see a way.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Maybe you need to give them a hint about that. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tools, Message Filters, New, Match from = snipped-for-privacy@bar.com, Action1 = Copy to folder FooBar, Action2 = Delete message

[might be nicer if there was a single move action]
Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't use Thunderbird, but a quick search for simplifying things led me to here:

HTH

Reply to
Richard

AOL? :-)

Not just shorthand for "Me Too!", I mean as another *famous* example of this hard sell technique.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Thanks both, I'll investigate further.

Reply to