OT - Lights going out in three years

Oh dear. you were almost correct up to that point. So satringng from a false assumption ...

we get a total bullshit conclusion!

Still: that's climate science.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Some of us realise that it is the way forward. We need a PV panel on every suitable house. One's like you sit on your hands and whine. There is 1200Mw of installed PV capacity in the UK taken place in the last three years mainly. Itneeds no fuel and near zero maintenance. Fossil fuel sourced electricity will be the same price in a few years. Only dozey buggers like yourself can't see it.

Reply to
harry

-

He is deranged.

Reply to
harry

Some of us realise that it is the way forward. We need a PV panel on every suitable house. One's like you sit on your hands and whine. There is 1200Mw of installed PV capacity in the UK taken place in the last three years mainly. Itneeds no fuel and near zero maintenance. Fossil fuel sourced electricity will be the same price in a few years. Only dozey buggers like yourself can't see it.

It's only a matter of time before it becomes a requirement for new build properties.

Reply to
mark

If you burn coal you produce CO2 period. The coal research back then was a futile pursuit. The only chance is CO2 capture. Which may or may not work.

You want to send your kids down the mine BTW or is this just for someone else?

Reply to
harry

At every CO2 rise there was a mass extinction.

Reply to
harry

Where there is sand, there are dunes. And they move, impossible to build anything there. But there is lots of rock and pebbles too.

Reply to
harry

Oh dear - did someone take that as a serious comment?

Reply to
polygonum

Over 50 years worth easily viable (modulo closed mines), at the current rate of use. Much more (some suggest 300 years worth) which was not viable to mine, but becomes viable if the coal price goes high.

We currently mine about a quarter of what we use, import about half of what we use, and have vast stockpiles (over 16 years worth) piled up in power stations. Don't know what we'll do with that when they all shut down.

Our coal does have a rather high sulpher content, but the main problem is the cost of extracting it when you apply today's H&S to new mines and you'd struggle to get today's unemployed youth to work in a mine, although you could bring in foreign workers to do so. Currently we pay foreign workers to do so in their own countries, and we can't compete with that at home.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not quite sure how with hours/dead being applied.

A sensible load test, getting ready for winter and maxing out the export to the continent again 24/7 for a week with all our coal stations running flat out...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Oh so it's free then? Only a little earlier you were denying you'd ever said that. Make up your alleged mind harry, there's a good chap.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The following figure show that after the last CO2 rise we had 8 000 years of stable CO2 and stable sea level:

of that we suddenly had 7 000 000 000 people on this planet:
understand why.

One thing I do not understand. How come that The Natural Philosopher do not heads the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York City, when he knows more about CO2 than James Hansen?

Reply to
Jo Stein

If the choice is between firing up an out of hours coal station to prevent serious blackouts with huge political repercussions, and breaching an EU directive, I'll bet someone at DECC will declare some force majueure and do it.

Yep. We have the 3/4 of a gig of 'biomass' converted coal station online as well now. And the oil burner still works

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You have identified the correct reason right there,

Because I know more...too much in fact...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tch. Abandoned mines cannot be reopened. They will be flooded and/or caved in. The ground is then so damaged that it cannot be mined at all except by opencast means.If it's too deep, that is impossible too. The mines were abandoned because the were uneconomic at the time.

Reply to
harry

I can hardly believe you are so stupid. But it seems to be true.

Reply to
harry

He suffers from delusions or dementia. Or both. You only have to see his postscripts to realise this.

Reply to
harry

Megalomania..............................!

Reply to
harry

I worked in the NHS. You're right. Many managers are incompetent.. It started when they started to "parachute in" managers from outside the NHS who hadn't a clue how it worked. And who only remained a couple of years and then buggered off.

Reply to
harry

Some stocks will need to be moved by lorries offsite, but as this is expensive the stocks at Didcot will be run to near zero by the end of March by reducing and then eliminating deliveries

The idea that there is 16 years worth of coal stockpiled at UK power stations is ludicrous

All coal fired stations in the UK run stockpiles in rotation as coal loses some calorific value on the stack. These stocks are only being replenished when demand is less than deliveries, at the end of the winter period most coal stockpiles are very low, during early autumn they are approaching their max. The stocks being around four months at max generation.

One reason the lights didn't go out in the latter stages of the

1980's miners strike was a massive stockpiling beforehand (very significantly more than ever seen before or since). The heaps were being built such that even with near zero deliveries at some sites for around a year they still held some stock at the end.
Reply to
The Other Mike