OT ish Wireless Routers

My (admittedly cheap) wireless router can be picked up in the next room. Beyond that, you're in the lap of the gods. I originally put it down to cheapness. However last year, I acquired an old Belkin router we used at work. I *know* this routers signal managed to push through 2 buildings to get picked up in the office we had next door to us - about 100ft. Yet using that at home was no better than the cheapie.

The only thing I can think is our internal walls are proper brick (built in 1963) which strangles the signal. But that said, the signal was punching through 5 brick walls at work.

WiFi is great for convenience, and simplicity. But I would never *rely* on it as a primary network path.

Reply to
Jethro

If so, then you probably have co-channel interference from another Wifi router nearby. Try changing channels.

The new BT Home Hub 3 makes a point of having the best range around, and it does this by continously monitoring that it is using a clear channel, and moving if necessary.

Reply to
John Williamson

Lots of internal walls in the 50/60s was built from cinder block (i.e. powerstation slag compressed into blocks). That has a high carbon content, and seems particularly good at attenuating WiFi.

+1
Reply to
John Rumm

Went up and down them - no change. Anyway, nothing to try now. I got some homeplugs, and never looked back.

I would rather fry my eyes in garlic than have anything to do with BT. In my case this is backed up by the fact that my basic BT connection is currently 3MBps and my basic Virgin is 10MBs. I didn't want BT - it's who my company use to provide homeworking broadband. And despite just having to come and fit a line and provide broadband, I can report they are no better than they were when I decided not to use them 20 years ago.

Reply to
Jethro

Interesting ... I guess it's akin to draping carbon fibre over the walls ? Of course at the office, it was going through bog standard brick walls.

Reply to
Jethro

Try changing channels.

Fair enough, then. When I move later this month, I'll be installing ethernet to all rooms. The laptop will still be on a wireless connection, though, as its limit isn't the connection speed, but its internals. I'll just need to site the hub so the connection works in the garden.

My experience with BT has always been good. As I don't stream video from the internet much, the predicted 3.5Meg speed at my new location will probably be indistiguishable from the 7 or so I get here.

Reply to
John Williamson

More "reflecting" around....

Reply to
tony sayer

As does the one next door .. and the one next to that and next door the other way and so on;!,....

Reply to
tony sayer

I have some batteries and don't understand this passion for mains electricity. Horses for courses, etc...

Making the holes in the ceiling invisible and maintaining their fire integrity/ thermal & acoustic insulation/ separation from other services appeals to us more! But we DIY people are a bit strange like that.

Reply to
Mark Williams

im all foil backed plasterboard. NOT good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So are we upstairs... However having the router downstairs means there seems to be adequate penetration through the floors to get coverage upstairs.

Reply to
John Rumm