OT ish Wireless Routers

Yup fair point. Nothing stopping one adding a USB group n dongle to a laptop though even if it has internal group b/g

Somewhere in the middle is often best - under stairs cupboard in our case.

Reply to
John Rumm

CAT5E will do gigabit without any difficulty...

Reply to
John Rumm

Which bit of 'temporary cable' confused you shit for brains?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Be careful he will call you shit for brains for making suggestions like that.

Reply to
dennis

They do, throughput drops like a stone in urban areas with every house having WiFi. There are only three channels (1, 6 & 11) that don't mutually interfer with each other.

Don't have a laptop, 'orrible things to use with those scroll pad things.

They are pretty crap as well. Delayed and distorted even with a good signal. If the signal gets a iffy and holding a conversation next to impossible. Land lines are so much clearer and without delay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you are so knowledgeable why don't you answer my question? To repeat the question: if WiFi interferes with ADSL routers, how come the vast majority of ADSL routers have WiFi output?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I splashed out on one of those very recently after my old Lynksys router died after many years - very expensive, but it was a complete disaster. The range within the house was diabolical compared to the old (cheapo) one, also it seemed to drop the wifi connection regularly.

Eventually gave up and sent it back, and replaced it with another cheapo job (a £31 Buffalo), which is working just as well as the Lynksys did. Maybe my Netgear one was a duff one, I don't know.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Who said WiFi interferes with ADSL routers?

I may be wrong, but I suspect the reference to putting RF trash on the mains was in relation to Homeplug data over mains connections and nothing to do with WiFi.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which bit of 'decent handyman' confused you?

Reply to
Bob Neumann

None of it f****it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Perhaps I am just lucky. Ours manages a good signal and I have never noticed a loss of connection. Perhaps that was because I splashed out for a Netgear adaptor when I got it. I did have to set up connections manually. The push button system to auto connect would not work for me.

In the past I had used a couple of Belkins with horrendous problems. Subsequently went wired with a non-wireless Netgear modem router DG834? but then needed wireless again so bought a cheap adaptor. Eventually went for the new Netgear because I needed better speeds to upstairs.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

It was. Far closer in frequency to DSL.

Plenty of possibilities to down convert through diodic joints into the DSL spectrum.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one nice thing I found about the expensive (but crap) Netgear model I mentioned previously was its 'Guest network' facility, which provided for a limited-access network whose password could be given out to guests and changed at will, without affecting the main wifi network

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think you are right.

However, the exact quotation was

----------------------------------

It gets through walls lined with foil backed plasterboard. It doesn't put RF trash on the mains where its liable to upset many things including ADSL routers. Its a reliable 100Mbps link.

----------------------------------

It seemed reasonable to assume that the statement referred to the immediately preceding remark (of mine).

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Wi-fi or 2.4 Ghz radio signals don't interfere with ADSL routers as such, thats to assume that the radiated RF field is causing direct interference of the circuitry in the router itself, that normally being accidental demodulation rather like the -buzz-buzz-buzz- of a mobile phone on anything thats a bit susceptible to RF fields..

Competent design will make sure that any semiconductor/s in that equipment is adequately isolated and or bypassed at RF in order to make that not so. A simple example being an emitter base junction in a bipolar transistor where a few hundred PF of capacitance across that junction will clear up most RF or much higher frequency signals that that device is responding to..

What is normally actually happening is simple Radio interference where each wi-fi capable router which transmits signals also receives them too and if there're on the same frequency then simple radio frequency interference occurs.. Like say in the summer when you are receiving TV signals from another transmitter using the same channel thats coming in because of Anomalous proprogation conditions..

As there are only so many channels to go round this is a real problem in a lot of the country as many people use wireless because they don't like wires, but as there are only so many channels interference at RF rather than accidental demodulation is the cause of this problem.

Have a drive around with netstumbler on your laptop and see what that responds to or rather the rate of same in anything like a built up area. In some streets in Cambridge its pinging continually even at 10 MPH down some streets...

Some routers also use the less congested 5 Ghz band which has more room but equipment's that can use that are still very few..

Reply to
tony sayer

Quite possible on a differing default channel to the default one next door was using;!.. Seen it happen here with our neighbours..

There was nothing wrong as such with the original it was just on the SAME channel as another unit/s and the user didn't know that. Course they changed product "x" for product "y" that was simply on a different channel now product "y" is a better device that what product "x" was but there wasn't a fault condition or poor performance with product "x" anyway;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That's not quite "shared with no one" though is it?

Reply to
AnthonyL

>> I have four and they are fine.

I've got half a dozen of the pass-through version

and they work fine. Well worth the extra £10 a pair to not to lose the socket they're plugged into.

Use

(referral link) to get yourself some cashback on the purchase.

as far as the wires go, yes it is.

CAT5 is switched star wired full duplex. To the switch. Then its 100Mps duplex to the server. So in 'RF' terms that's a shared 200Mbps channel.

AND its buffered at the switch, so no back off and throughput reduction due to collisions.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

save yourself the heartache, and forget WiFi. I undertook a similar exercise, and struggled to get 1 bar of 5 at the PC 10 yards away. I wnet through a phase of using my upstairs PC as a proxy for that PC, which caused no end of problems.

Got some powerline adapters 6 months ago - never looked back.

Reply to
Jethro