OT: Good place to ask about XP memory problems

snipped-for-privacy@l10g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

No, that's not what I mean at all.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ow now let me think.... how about Kernighan and Ritchie's at Bell Labs. You may have heard of them - the clue was in the word "original".

C's reliance on a pre-processor enforces at least two passes even on many modern compilers. Some can precompile header files, but quite often that only works well when the same set of files are included in the same order in every module.

Reply to
John Rumm

If the data needs to be portable then it is a requirement of the application to provide a method to export/import the data in a portable format. Whether the app is written in C, or..., is irrelevant.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

well anyone can make a mistake

Reply to
dennis

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l10g2000pra.googlegroups.com...

So you mean don't use any C data types then.

Reply to
dennis

"everything" as long as you ignore the fact that the majority of CPUs on the planet are ARM derivative I presume you mean?

Reply to
John Rumm

Now you have ruined it! ;-)

Reply to
dennis

They also fixed the 8088/6 double prefix bug which broke some apps...

(don't think a slightly faster 8086 would have dug this particular project out of the mire anyway - it was still a tad sluggish in places on the order of magnitude faster '386)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, done loads of commercial stuff in Turbo pascal and later in Delphi.

Reply to
John Rumm

I always have to smile when you meet IBM types who think that "assembler" is an IBM specific language and can't get their heads round the concept that everyone else has a far more generic definition of the term.

8051 is kind of weird with its bit addressing. Might be quite handy for some apps if it were not for the fact that the bus cycle is so damn inefficient as to render any coding performance gain pointless.
Reply to
John Rumm

16 bit external bus...
Reply to
John Rumm

Mad even worse by Cyrix with things like the 486 SLC which were narrow bus (and being realistic more like a 386)

Reply to
John Rumm

Funnily enough, I mentioned to someone this week (while offering to teach a course on assembler for some geeky types) that one should call it 'assesmbler', not 'Assembler' - the latter being the IBM term. They used lots of generic terms for their specific products - JCL and VM come to mind.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The DX became the original 486 when the SX was introduce. The DX2 and DX3 were the multiplier versions.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, it was really good on benchmarks because of the improved multiply/ divide performance. I have a feeling the pipeline was different too, but the stuff is all on a shelf at work. Overall, not that different - I did fit one to my PC though. (in place of an 8086, I had one of the first Advance 86 machines)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I went on a four day Intel course on the 80286, and they mentioned it there. But marketing may not have bothered in the end.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In the early days of 386 PCs there was not much use made of the MM capabilities. However that changed with utilities like QEMM and 386MAX plus windows 3.1, also the use of LIM EMS/XMS memory managers that could do away with the bank switch hardware initially required to page in EMS blocks in the upper memory area/EMS page frame.

Everything the 286 had was present in the 386... It added translated memory paging, virtual 8086 support, 32 bit ness, and hardware debug registers etc. Along with much greater addressing capability (both physical and logical)

Yes you can. The 386 architecture just extended them to allow for virtual 8086 segments and the like.

Reply to
John Rumm

DX2 and DX4, x2 and x3 multiplying. Can anybody remember Intel's justification for the DX4 name other than to try and pretend things were faster than they were?

Reply to
Clive George

Jesus H Christ.....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think there was a crappy Turbo C thing that did maybe one pass..well it appeared to be one pass anyway..

Dennis sounds like a Borland twit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher