OT - generating electricity on a bicycle

Toys are all they are these days. A dead end technology.

Reply to
harry

Do you still apply AC to a DC motor?

And I'm not talking about AC motors or universal motors.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Are you now saying that you do apply DC to a DC motor?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Do you still deny you apply DC to a DC motor?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Ignore him, he's on his trolly trip.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If its a brushless, yes.

And *if* you consider the motor is the far side of the commutator, yes.

The problem lies in the definition of 'motor' and 'DC motor'.

Is a motor designed ultimately to work on DC, a DC motor, when its terminals are clearly fed with AC?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No Harry .. thats switched reversed polarity DC;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

So you and harry would apply AC to a DC motor. Sheeez.

I thought you knew better. Yes I know all about commutation, brushed and brushless, but the significant thing about a DC motor is you apply DC to it. What happens inside the box isn't helpful.

Next you and harry will be saying that there is no such thing as an electrically powered motor, they're all magnetic.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Well, yes. AC is generally a sine wave. Be good to see how you achieve that with a switch. Many inverters make a pretty poor job of producing a sine wave. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...otherwise known as 'AC'...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AC can be any wave form. Sine/cosine wave forma re associated with rotating electrical machines. Simple switching gives a square wave. In a commutator, the point where the sine wave crosses the base line is where the brushes are ituated. Theoretically.

Changing the load/reversing needs the brushes to be moved ideally. If they aren't moved excessive arcing occurs which damages the commutator.

Reply to
harry

Quite true. Electricity is convenient way of producing the two magnetic fields neccesary. Neodymium magnets have replaced electricity for one of the magnetic field in some cases.

Reply to
harry

There ARE such things. Allegedly.

harry

Well obviously from the comment above you DO NOT know what a brushless motor is, because if you apply DC to it, it melts.

It needs a controller which is usually externnal to the motor.

AS I keep saying, its a matter of what you call a motor.

Is this, for example, a DC or an AC motor?

Or only 'part of' a motor?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The last 12V fan was brushless and was designed for 12V DC. There was no external controller and when I applied 12V DC to it it didn't melt.

Perhaps you should get your brushless DC motors from more reputable sources that include their own commutation, electronic or otherwise.

You are harry's sock puppet who believes that you should not apply DC to a DC motor.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Ah, so we are now saying DC is a special case of AC.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Where does this fit in the scheme of things?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No. the current and voltage have to reverse to be alternating.

I see your command of English is as poor as your understanding of motor theory.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Think that's another unipolar

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its not a unipolar motor. It's commonly called a ball bearing motor attributed to Stefan Marinov.

It relies on the thermal expansion of the balls in a ball bearing.

Reply to
Fredxxx