OT: from a schoolteacher

No it isn't - IME all schools are burdens with an excess of Ofsted paperwork.

Under-performing schools might get more

Reply to
Tim Watts

see:

charles

It's far from clear how many kids do now that we have the results so many get with home schooling which doesn't have professional teachers involved.

Reply to
sam

But what percentage of pupils are schooled at home? And at what level - primary or post primary?

I'm guessing the OP wasn't home schooled.

Reply to
Halmyre

That isn't relevant to home schooling showing that professional teachers aren't as necessary as some claim.

Both.

Very likely not but again, that isn't relevant to what home schooling shows.

Reply to
sam

In message , sam writes

For the record, in July 2014 there were about 27,000 children being home educated known about by LA's - probably at least double that number in total being home educated (no one knows). out of 8 millon + school children it's not a very big percentage.

Though I don't think it really shows anything much about how necessary professional teachers are in schools. Just because home educated kids can do well without teachers, doesn't mean that kids in school don't need the teachers.

Reply to
Chris French

The percentage is irrelevant to the fact that it shows that having a professional teacher isn't necessary to get a decent education.

We weren't discussing schools, just how necessary professional teachers are for a decent education.

Just because home educated kids

That wasn't what was being discussed. Obviously kids in school need some sort of supervision and we call those doing that teachers.

Reply to
sam

In message , sam writes

I agree, I was just passing on a bit of info to the previous poster.

Well, I've obviously just extended the discussion to include teachers in schools

Discussions have a habit of shifting. The original topic of this thread was a apparently a quote from teacher regarding school.

I think schools probably need people to do rather more than just supervise kids.

Reply to
Chris French

Try home schooling 30 kids at the same time. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)