OT: crosscut paper shredders

I've just blown up my shredder (well, it's stripped a gear inside, by the sound of it). This is a good excuse to buy a cross-cut one, since the broken one only cuts into strips.

Can anyone recommend a good make - I need heavy domestic/light office quality. It must be able to shred at least 10 pages at once - I sometimes shred 200 page reports and I don't want to do that a page at a time.

Reply to
Huge

I have a Fellowes P-48C (bought via Amazon). It will cut up to 8 sheets at a time and will chew unwanted credit cards, too. The only failing is the paper sensing switch no longer works which means I can't leave it ON and just put paper in. Poor design of that, but it cuts well.

Reply to
charles

In message , charles writes

Mine is a Fellowes P-55C and I don't think that would comfortably do 8 sheets. Also has a failed paper sensor system!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The answer is a bonfire.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Wot, no angle grinders fixed to a couple of boards so their discs are in a criss cross pattern, clamped in the workmate....

200 page documents, pah, it'd cross cut a car door in one pass :)
Reply to
Gazz

I would concur. I wore out one Fellowes (but it lasted years) so I got another.

The paper sensing switch problem - I had that. Dismantled the works and removed paper gunge from around the shaft that's driven by the sensor flag. No further trouble. The gunge is probably worse if you oil it refularly (as I do).

Reply to
Bob Eager

See my other post re the paper sensor. It's just jammed.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've found this to be a cut above the usual stuff with a 30-second duty cycle:

Never put 200 pages through in quick succession, though.

Reply to
mike

The P-55C paper sensor appears to be a photo cell arrangement across the input slot.

I confess to not even undoing the 4 screws! Probably just as well now there are grandchildren about.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My P48C sometimes struggles at 8. I put through a sheet sprayed with WC40 or similar from time to time which speeds it up. It gets paper clogged up at one end of the row of cutters occasionally, which needs to be poked free with a pointy instrument. Have only had the thermal trip cut in once in at least 20 "buckets" of stuff. Too slow for 200 page reports though.

Reply to
newshound

My Lidl shredder is around 5 years old - still going strong, only domestic use - shreds card without a problem.

Reply to
Eric

Mine hasn't. the spring return on the microswitch lever has failed.

Reply to
charles

Sounds like the same design as the Bush one then. That also cuts CDs into three pieces. The switch gets wedged with paper bits, one can release it itth an unbent paper clip but turn it off at the mains first!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hard to get that into the office though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Huge :

We have a Fellowes SB-85C which is rated at up to 15 sheets. It's the first shredder I've bought that seems really bomb-proof, and it would take only a few minutes to get through a two-inch pile of A4.

Otherwise you might consider using a local service. I can get a box of paper (any box or bag one could easily lift) shredded in front of me for three quid. But it's not DIY I know, doesn't give you an excuse to buy some kit, and won't keep the hamster warm.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Reading this thread makes me wonder why someone hasn't fitted a sheet feeder to a shredder ... then it wouldn't matter how many pages it can do at once ... just load it up and have a cuppa.

Heck, even my sub £80 HP scanner/printer/fax has a sheet feeder ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I have a P-48C too & I'm pretty happy with it so far (December 2012). I do oil it regularly.

You mean the switch failed "on"? I'm surprised they aren't designed to fail "off" for safety reasons.

Reply to
Adam Funk

For work use we have some Rexel RDM 1150 machines that produce 1.8x15mm chad. That should keep the Iranian grannies working for weeks to reassemble the documents.

£600 each 10 pages max.

If you don't care that much about the info there are 4x45 (RDX1850) versions that cost £350 each 20 pages max.

For SOHO use there's a maximum of 1000 sheets/day.

Given that we have an incinerator, I shred using a strip cut shredder then burn the waste which burns much faster when shredded.

If you want a high end personal shredder the Rexel Auto+ does 4x50 cross cut and has a built in 100 sheet feeder for £150 ish. It's limited to A4 paper though everything else is manual feed 5 sheets max.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Probably because a shredder with a low capacity in unlikely to be continuously rated, so you would also have to programme pauses in its operation.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Hardly a stretch of design though ? I see another reply here does mention a sheet-feed shredder (A4 only).

Reply to
Jethro_uk