OT Brake Lights

I think you missed the point. What was it you think I missed?

Reply to
dennis

Whatever you have to hand, obviously.

I'd not like to be in your car. If it's designed to have seals which leak.

But expect identical bulbs to fail in short order?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One dipped head lamp failed on the smart I drive 7 weeks ago.. the other failed 3 weeks ago. I would have expected them to replace both as you have to remove the front to get to them, but they didn't. One hours labour to replace a headlight bulb is a bit steep IMO.

Reply to
dennis

snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

I was once invited to spend over =A325 during my usual service, to replace a headlight bulb, "as it needs things to be dismantled". In fact it needed no tools whatever. Admittedly a small French garage mechanic's hand was assumed to be available by the manufacturers, but even my big hands were able to do the job with a squeeze.

Dave W

Reply to
Dave W

I find it strange that many countries require you to carry spare bulbs but allow vehicles where it's a garage job to change them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk...

The centre brake light on mine failed just before service time - and the dealer offered free collection and return of the vehicle as part of the service cost, which I made use of. When it came back the centre lamp still wasn't working - and they hadn't reset the service indicator. I phoned them up and they said to bring it in any time and they'd attend to both while I waited. Which they did. And presented me with a bill of 16 quid for changing the bulb - a normal stop lamp type costing under a quid and not requiring any tools to change. A rather heated argument ensued - but I still had to pay it. I never went back to that dealer as soon as the warranty expired and they have subsequently closed down.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I am not sure what the new driving test covers about car maintainance (I suspect it is only water/oil levels etc) but it took me 45 minutes to change the O/S headlight on my Combo and I had tools to hand. I would allow 5 minutes for such a job on every other car/van I have owned or worked on. I swapped the N/S one in minutes.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Of course it doesn't apply to all, but I've heard stories of bumpers having to be removed to change a headlight bulb.

I think legislation (Construction and Use) should require all new vehicles to allow statuary bulbs to be changed without tools. Unless LEDs, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point; I'd forgotten that. Just got a car with xenon lamps and thought 'no point in getting a spare'...but I'd better!

At least if you carry one, the part is available.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My TVR requires the removal of the appropriate front wheel, then the cutting open of an access hatch which is Sikaflexed into place.

The TVR Tuscan requires a similar effort to access the battery.

On my Series 1 Discovery, it once took me 45 minutes to change a brake light bulb, all because the designers were too precious to use rear light fittings held on from the outside. If screw heads are good enough for Pagani, they should be OK for LR.

Reply to
Huge

If HID headlamps they're said to have a much longer life than tungsten. But then they would say that...

Worth checking out Ebay. However, if you replace just one it's likely to look a different colour. These things tend to age.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or a hinged trim panel to allow access to the rear? That's what my car has in the boot, and the entire lampholder assembly held in place by a turn buckle so easy enough to access. The problem with lenses held on with screws is sealing them adequately.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

IIRC, there was a trim panel inside, but that just gave access to a tiny hole (with very sharp edges - I remember blood...) in the vehicle structure, which allowed you do undo two butterfly nuts about 200 turns each, to remove the light cluster from the outside, and finally get at the bulbs. The worst of all possible worlds.

The S2 Disco I have now has screws outside.

Reply to
Huge

Some people confuse HID and Xenon.

On many (common) cars changing a bulb has been dumbed down so that tools are not required - but apathy rules!

Reply to
John

Well, the manufacturer calls them "HID Xenon"!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Unfortunately on many modern, common cars, changing a bulb is a complete PITA. Depending upon model and mk, headlamp bulbs in particular can require removel of roadwheels; grilles; batteries; air filters and/or inner wing panels. These should surely be designed as a simple, fast, tool-free, change at the roadside job. Similarly, cars I've owned in the past have had simple rear lamp clusters that involve pulling open a flap in the boot lining, unclipping the back of the cluster and then simply changing the bulb, whereas my more recent ones have involved the removal of trim retaining strips held by torx screws; removal of trim panels held with plastic clips that cannot be removed without breakage; and/or finally release of the light cluster by undoing two nuts that can only be reached with a long-reach socket!

Don't get me started on how difficult it can be to change dash illumination bulbs - they could have been replaced with LEDs many years ago.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I agree, but what you are suggesting will never happen.

I would also like to see standard entry points for electric showers,boilers and consumer units etc but that will never happen.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

tungsten - not HID

Reply to
John

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth" saying something like:

Nothing works. If you flash them in the mirror and they notice you at all, they assume you are being an arse who wants past, sometimes this leads to odd hand waving from them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Indeed....I realise that. I wonder how many people bother to get a spare bulb when going abroad if it's HID xenon - as I understand it they are quirte expensive.

Tried them out for the first time last night and they are quite nice!

Reply to
Bob Eager