OT: Bonfires

Indeed. save it all up for November 5th. No one will notice another fire then..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As a kid each Nov 5th was preceded by at least a week of getting hold of every tyre we could for the bonfire ... 100+ tyres on a bonfire was not unusual. Mattresses, old tins of paint , railway sleepers.... on it went.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

where did they go when they cooled ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I don't even remember writing that, you have left so little I have forgotten the context. Let me guess: Norway? Khazakstan?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pissed again ?

Reply to
geoff

Oh heck, yes. Memories. :-)

I'm not quite sure how a site was chosen - but one day there'd just be a few sticks of wood in the middle of a green space, then it'd just grow as the days went by and more and more folk just added whatever they had to hand and which they thought stood a chance of burning. I don't remember them ever getting shut down back then.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

That was in the days before our lives were micromanaged by those above us who know better than us. We ahve been reduced to the status of children.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You didn't, NP - I did. As you say, there's so much cut that even I had trouble in recognising it!

As that particular fire was over half a kilofortnight ago, I can't unforget which way the wind wasn't blowing.

Reply to
PeterC

Yes kids have stopped maturing and learning after about the age of 8 (by 1960's standards).

It's perfectly natural for kids not to want to do homework, or to study for exams. It's less trouble for teachers to go along with that and tell parents (like a teacher told me about my son) "Your not worried about him are you ? He likes to come to school and that's the most important thing. don't you think it's important for kids to enjoy themselves at school, I do ?

Result was he got good at playing schoolyard football, but now, at 34 earns just about 1/3 rd of the salary of his elder brother who had exactly the same resources devoted to him - but a different teacher.

And you can't do SFA about it.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Children can be guaranteed to vote for a nany state, that gives them sweets and indulges them to the point they are spoilt completely rotten.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

people who'd lived through world war II had wiser personal risk assessments than today's health and safety rulifiers.

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)