OT: Apple Mac computers

And who would really notice a 4GB page file given current disc sizes? It is madness having a dynamic page file. (But I am quite prepared for someone to explain to me that there is a reason to do so. Or that MS recommend doing so.)

In fact, a 4GB page file on every suitable permanently attached hard drive would not exactly seem much of a burden.

I find the worst fragmentation seems to occur with IE cache and various log files which get fragmented as they have data appended. NTFS is pretty good for "average" files such as Word documents of a few MB.

Reply to
Rod

Not quite true.

It is possible on Mac Intel based hardware, for those still addicted to Windows to partition the disk using a facility called BootCamp and to install Windows in that. In that mode, it's a dual boot environment.

There are two significant solutions to running a Windows environment on the Mac in addition to the above. One is called Parallels and the other is Fusion (from VMware). Both are not emulators but virtual machine environments. Parallels was on the market first but VMWare has a much longer track record in virtualisation in general. I've used both and IMO, VMWare is the better product of the two because it has better virtual peripheral support, better network configuration and a better library of preassembled virtual machines.

Both are helpful in the Windows context because when Windows breaks, it's a very short matter to load in a new copy of the virtual machine and be running again in a very few minutes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

There isn't a need to have a dynamic page file from anything that I've discovered. It would appear to be something left over from when disk space was more precious.

Generally because the pieces remain contiguous or close to it. However as the dynamic page file changes size and as the temporary files are left as trash as you describe it gets progressively worse.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I started running VMWare back in W2K days - and it worked very well. Had memory been cheaper, I might well have chosen to run applications in the virtualised environment and used the native W2K simply to host VMWare. Makes it very easy to switch a working environment from one piece of hardware to another.

Reply to
Rod

In these circumstances a repair install of windows usually sorts it and preserves the user and app settings. You don't need to do that too often IME - probably only 5 - 10% of the time. Its getting a bit more common though since many upgrades are now from single core to multi core processors.

Reply to
John Rumm

.

Does dennis know what a HAL is?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Some see their photos as very important, a friend has transferred and de-scratched loads of old family photos going back to 1900s, not the sort of thing he'd like to loose.

How about customer information, billing receipts, a friend that is a gardener ran his business records on the computer. What if someone says you've not sent them an invoice so haven't paid.

Not voluntarily, same as if they don't lock their car door at night.

Few people have proper fire doors installed, loads don;t even have fire/smoke alarms.

Well who's job is it to educate them ?

It's a lot lower that's the point, the idea is you get as close to nil chance of loosing your data as practically possible. The more backups you make the more likely you are to be able to recover the original file(s). I partly work in a teaching lab with 36 PC's, we tell the student to back up their data to USB sticks, some do, some don't. some back up and then leave the stick in the PC, sometimes another student finds it and hands it to me for reclaiming sometimes they'll 'steal' it and reformat it for themselves. I've even found broken USB sticks. One student broke one and soldered it to get it working again. I've found them in the street too.

You put them in order.

Perhaps, but what if they kept their backups upstairs in a different room.

How many would stiop to collect the stash of cash under the wardrobe, the antique chamber pot, the van goth on their wall.

Same reason why soem only have one good suite, or one car.

Because it might be safe enough or not that important in the first place. I don;t plan on making a backup of this post. Do you think I need to back it up to HD, CD, DVD, magnetic tape and the 'cloud'.

Well I don;t do that and I wouldn;t advise anyone to only do that.

Unless tehy hold you at gun/knife point and knowing you have a safe they make you open it. Perhaps they'll steal that important backup thinking it's worth money. The more expensive the backup device is the more likely they'll take it.

If nothing happens you don;t need a back up. My brother PC has died 3 times in 6 months he has no backups because all he does is play games on it. He has teh original discs so why does he need a backup.

In htis situationh those that haven;t made backups tend not to worry to much about it and are far more concerned with the £1000s they may need to claim back on insurance etc..

Not necessarily, the worst that can happen is I die in the incident with my backs. And of course the more backups you make the greater the security risk of someone getting your backups.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Same solution as a Mac, Open office. Vista has a photo organiser (uses the same tags as adobe so they are probably the same as the Mac one. Define music producing software, how many tracks, what bit rate? What DVDs, you can make movies, audio, data, photo on vista without any extra applications but IIRC the tosh also comes with nero. Buy carbonite if you want backups.

No virues, its a myth. There are lots of windows users aho have never had a virus just as there are lots of mac users that have.

No, but Andy claimed Macs did.

The army has a solution already are you intending to tender for a replacement?

Why does it need to be on first? Surely its clever enough to work with network drives and they may go away and come back at anytime, the program has to cope with this or you may as well bin it.

Reply to
dennis

Shh! He was going to tender for a replacement, now he will know why glass disks were originally developed.

Reply to
dennis

Did you get a copy as well?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I have yet to see a Mac user that knows how to setup VPNs on their Mac, self support would be pretty hard.

Well most other people do get it to work reliably on windows. It shows what sort of users most Mac users are by the stuff you have posted about computers.. ie. pretty uneducated and wrong about most things.

No they don't. The stylish thin aluminum ones offer the least protection. I said you don't understand computers and you keep proving it.

There is no such thing as a ruggedised drive only ruggedised housings.

If you mean the intended audience doesn't need to keep their data safe you are correct.

Reply to
dennis

Which one did you use?

Reply to
dennis

So Andy lies to you as well? I thought it was just me?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you?

Reply to
dennis

So use a proper backup system then.

Not if the mechanism is flawed. How many verify their backups? How many have actually tried to recover the data?

Put an encrypted file on them with a secret number and have an end of year raffle, they will look after the keys then.

Who said they were in any particular order?

I bet a lot of people lost all their data in the floods last year.

I wouldn't, its all in the bank/shares/bonds.

???

No need, Google does it for you.

What is it?

I don't recall Apple stopping you.

They wouldn't know what a backup device is and the media would be somewhere safe anyway.

Evidence that you really do need proper backups if you don't just play games.

That may be their initial response until the insurance says they will pay, then they discover there are some things insurance can't replace.

Don't you encrypt them?

Reply to
dennis

You said you weren't reading these anymore. Did you lie then too?

Reply to
dennis

I might have, then again I could be telling lies now.

Being paranoid doesn't mean they aren'y out to get you...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The one in the Space Oddity film perhaps ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Seagate Extends Rugged Storage with Leading Capacity and High-Speed SATA Interface"

Reply to
Rod

Actually it's pretty easy.

For example, quite a number of VPN clients are installed automatically simply by accessing a web server on the VPN gateway, whereupon download and configuration are automatic and the user ends up with everything configured and controlled from the gateway side.

Try reading what I wrote rather than what you would like to think I wrote.

In fact both components are involved in producing a rugged solution. The term "ruggedised" is normally used in a military or tough industrial context and you know very well that this is not the application here.

Reply to
Andy Hall