Getting more from radiators

Hi,

My current heating situation is that I have a single radiator in my lounge which has to heat both the lounge and dining room (open plan style). The problem is that due to space limitations, one of our sofas has to be placed in front of the radiator. I expect that this reduces the amount of heat getting into the room.

Is there any system i can get which will help the heat get out from behind the sofa; some kind of fan system or something that i can place underneath the radiator. Would replacing the radiator with a double radiator be benificial. The room(s) to heat together are about 3m x 7m

Thanks in advance

Mark

Reply to
Mark Trueman

Yes

At one time fan assisted heaters were quite popular on CH systems but I haven't seen one in use for some years except kitchen plinth mounted ones.

Reply to
BillR

Replacing with a double will increase the output of the radiator but having the sofa infront will still reduce the effectiveness of the radiator.

Just an idea... Tape some sheets of tin foil to the back of the sofa to help reflect the heat, some people put in foil behind the radiators so why not infront? It'll only cost a few pence to try and you never know!

Tony

Reply to
TonyK

Move the radiator to the centre of the room and lay it flat (it will still work, though perhaps not as effectively). It will also become a useful additional piece of furniture and help to start conversations during those deadly dull dinner parties.

Reply to
IM

If it isn't already top spec you can replace it with a double / treble / double with internal fins etc to increase its dissipation.

(and if you get desperate paint it with matt black paint for better emissivity !!!)

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

LOL!

Reply to
Set Square

A great coffee table, keeps it warm anyway. Or warm nibbles pre dinner party.

I would guess that your heat requirement is around 3kw/10kbtu for the combined lounge diner. That's rather a lot for a single panel, but more achievable with a 1600mm double.

Reply to
Toby

If you do replace it with a higher output one, then do check the pipework capacity. If you have a number or radiators connected in a group on 15mm pipes, for example, with average (whatever that is) pipe runs, the *total* heat that can be delivered is around 6kW.

This is because the heat that is deliverable is limited by flow rate and that ultimately is limited by pipe size.

To determine this, you really need to check the sizes of the radiators and look at manufacturer's data sheets to determine the output in kW. Then work backwards. If the pipework from the radiator in question connects directly to 22mm feed and return pipes from the boiler, then it is probably OK.

I'll give you an example of how this can be a problem. My house and that of my neighbour has the radiators connected using 8mm microbore tube. The rule of thumb maximum heat transfer for this size is

1.5kW. My neighbour decided that he wanted to increase the heat delivered in his living room because of a similar situation to you and increased the size of a radiator (which was 1500W) to a 3kW one.

He couldn't understand why it didn't get very warm and the return was practically cold. Fortunately, we were able to replumb it in 15mm to a position close to the boiler and resolved the problem.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

This post was clearly not me. Someone is taking my identity. Can you deal with it. Doing this contravenes all the rules of Usenet, the ng and the ISP where this post originated.

This must be nipped in the bud before the whole ng degenerates into chaos.

Reply to
IMM

Do you always laugh at your own jokes?

Reply to
IMM

There's no admin here. You would need to talk with uni-berlin.de and/or cwt.esat.NET who the post originated from.

Your identity? ISTR it belongs to a film. For whatever reason, you chose not to use _your_ identity but someone else's.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It will also become a

You may have - and indeed probably do have, deadly dull dinner parties.

However the rest of us have worked out that if the guests are a flippng bore, they don' get invited again, and a process of Darwinian selection now ensures the dinner parties are of good cheer.

I am not sure what you can do tho, as the problem is pretty

insoluble if the host is a crashing bore.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My identity on the ng is IMM and has been for a long time. It is clearly MY identity. The imposer deliberately is pretending to me - THAT IS CLEAR. Your ID is Andrew Gabriel and has been for a long time.

Reply to
IMM

Youre quite right, no-one else on this planet has ever called themselves IMM before.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In message , N. Thornton writes

You mean "IMM over there" ?

Reply to
geoff

LOL. Good one Maxie.

Reply to
IMM

There is no admin.

If you are concerned, then PGP sign all your messages. We can then assume that messages that aren't signed by you are not from you.

Reply to
R W

Shhush. You will be telling hin there is no Father Christmas next...

Oh for heavens sake. That is asking a bit much of someone without the first idea of how the world works, let alone encryption...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On the film last night it was clear there was one.

Another one of those unqualified people who conned their way into IT, I see.

Reply to
IMM

I thought microbore was used with faster pumps rates. Not being of the malleable cupric/leaden persuasion, I can only imagine the best solution to be replumbing the rooms anyway as the radiator is inadequate and badly sited. What would that cost?

Reply to
Michael Mcneil