OT: Apple Mac computers

I must be really lucky then, I have done it with at least 15 machine types from different manufacturers. At one point I was duplicating windows disks using DD on a UnixWare box and popping them into machines a couple of times a week.

There is one on windows too (you would know that if you looked), but why bother when you can just swap the disks? Anyway you may not want to overwrite the disk in the target so then you have to reinstall or image it and verify it a couple of times all of which delays things.

Reply to
dennis

Certainly. I have no problem with the Air - in terms of pricing it is as anyone would expect.

In fact, for home use, I can't help but think that something similar to the Air connecting to a home server (in remote desktop fashion) would be an excellent path to follow. Nice and light for use wherever convenient at home. Sufficient capacity to use away from home for many purposes. And the possibility of connecting devices to the server if needed.

You could argue the same direction for the Airport Extreme we use. Much more expensive than most routers. But a delight compared against most others I have used.

Reply to
Rod

There is no commercial advantage for M$ to put outlook on a Mac either. Apples refusal to sell osx for pcs is just a typical tactic.

That I agree with, there is no point in osx.

Reply to
dennis

Not really, if I were paying for terra byte backup I would probably have many terabytes to backup. A terabyte of disk is only about £120 so I can have a lot for a couple of grand.

Reply to
dennis

So it is a matter of cost?

Reply to
Rod

I'm surprised you are using such old tat when you could buy a timecapsule? A gig of almost backup storage for only about £400 and its an access point too.

Claims to be revolutionary.. shame I have had a similar device running for two years so its not quite as revolutionary as apple claim (I can post a photo if you want? Its a bit smaller than apples attempt being just an inch or two longer than the 2.5" drive inside.

Funny how Apple have all this revolutionary technology that has been around for years.

Reply to
dennis

What? Of course there is. That way they can sell Exchange to the enterprise even though the "creatives" in the media department refuse to use anything except their beloved Macs.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

As I said if you can justify the cost it is not an issue.

I think its an issue for me which is why I said they don't go big enough, when USB flash drives are 512G for £4 next year they will be OK.

Reply to
dennis

Who needs someone so "creative" they can't use what ever they are given? Best burry them somewhere and get on with the job.

Reply to
dennis

And the Time Capsule was not on the market when we got our Airport Extreme so would have been exceedingly difficult to purchase. Ours includes an access point so no difference there.

I can connect pretty much any USB drive to it. And printers.

The Time Capsule is available in 500GB and 1TB models - no idea what 'gig' you are talking about?

I don't care if it is not quite the smallest device on the market. It sits upstairs, out of the way.

I don't think that I used the word 'revolutionary'. Just that it is so pleasant to configure and, so far, reliable. Many routers are pigs to configure - at least the first time you see them. The Airport was not. Many routers are pigs if you wish to update the firmware. The Airport is not.

Reply to
Rod

A friend iof mine wants a 'basic' laptop, does the Tosh come with Office and a photo organising program, DVD producing software, music producing software, movie editing software and easy to use backup software.

Lots of free viruses too.

What is a complete backup solution anyway ? Does any consumer computer come with a *complete* backup solution ?

Doesn't that depend on it's use. Suposoe you're working in iraq under fire, what sort of backup drive would you suggest.

I've set some up on macs and the user doesn;t even know it's happening. I'll be doing another in a few weeks, I'll just say before you switch your mac on which on this box first.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In that situation you'ld be more interested in destroying the data, rather than backing it up, to prevent it falling into the wrong hands.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

There are, I think, three common HALs - and if you're lucky you might have one installed that matches a number of machines. If you have one that doesn't, it's a definite no-go. You'll get perhaps as far as mup.sys on safe mode boot and then it's a dead end. In short, it's something of a lottery - though you can use a script to keep a single image of an installation and 'custom fit' the appropriate HAL.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Boot on other foot.

I have not suggested that a Mac is cheaper on initial purchase price, although there are cases of this.

The point is that it is a stable platform that works powerfully for users with the need to have that type of access and simply for users who require just office automation. With a scenario of remote users who work from home and/or in remote locations, they can support themselves on a Mac. From experience, this doesn't work out on Windows machines.

The cost to a business of a user who does much of his work by email and other electronic communications not being able to do so, can easily run into several £k per day, so £500 less for something that doesn't work reliably is irrelevant.

Then you haven't looked carefully. There some around with quite solid aluminium extruded covers that offer very good protection.

The whole point of building oneself is to be able to use enterprise class or ruggedised drives depending on application.

Precisely. That is why a system such as Time Machine is well suited to the intended audience.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All the same?

I've used it. It doesn't work properly. Pieces were missing and permissions were not correctly set.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly. The same effect of a system that is impossible to get going properly can happen with a motherboard change where there is a different chipset or disk controller hardware. Unless these work easily and early on, it needs a substantial investment of time to the point that it's not worth the migration attempt.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thank goodness they don't. Entourage is a complete POS.

Unless you're a Mac user, in which case there is every point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Exactly. I have done the same and it does at least slow down some of the worst aspects of NTFS degradation.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's time consuming, but only inasmuch as car maintenance is time consuming. The payoff is largely virtual in that such maintenance avoids unexpected and often longer 'downtime'

I run a static swap file - seems to keep things nice and tidy and I haven't noticed any slowdown in the last few years.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

But why would they, M$ didn;t sell any OS for the Mac. M$ did buy out a company that did produce a windows emulator ofr the Mac. I believ there's a company that does a Mac emulator for a PC.

Other than it's better and more reliable at most things than vista or XP.

whisky-dave