Off-Thread replies...

Page 1 of 6
Dear fellow UK.d-i-y'ers...
I have noticed a lot of off-thread replies in the group, these don't really help those of us who are researching a subject.
For example:
From: Liam ( snipped-for-privacy@a.com) Subject: Hotpoint washing machine motor Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Date: 2003-07-16 11:15:41 PST has one reply which is relevant, then the thread goes off about imps (cars...)
Please please please try to keep irrelevant replies to a minimum. I know it's nice to share experiences like these, but as I noticed most of the regulars are on first name terms and could discuss these points via e-mail.
I found many "long" threads, only to find that about 5% of the replies are really useful...
Abdullah Eyles wrote:

I have to say, I agree with Brian. What you're suggesting doesn't sound like it would be much fun. And as well as being one of the greatest resouces on the planet, this group is also enormous fun.
--
Grunff

line, any strikes :-?
Oh sorry, off thread . . . .
:-)
--
fred

fred wrote:

Hehe...
I did in fact install a surge protector (RS 198-0452), but I've been too chicken to "test it", so I still unplug the incoming phone line in bad storms. No equipment lost so far.
--
Grunff

fred

Gentlemen, please keep on topic with this D-I-Y site. Oh I forgot, if you fit the surge protector yourself then it is d-i-y - so it must be on topic - silly old me :-))))))) and lol
Brian
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:09:49 UTC, "Devil's Advocate"

Ah, but discussions in *this* thread about surge protectors are off topic! The only on-topic subject in this thread is a discussion about off-thread replies!
So, start a new thread about surge protectors...but don't discuss off-thread replies in *that* thread...! Because that would be off-topic for that thread...
Or something...!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Bob Eager) wrote in

From the langa list
Brooks Hatch sends along this spoof of Linux:
If Linux was a car...Sense of Humor required!
M: Hey Pete, Can you help me put a radio in my Debian? P: You're an Idiot, RTFM!
M: I need more help than that. P: You're an idiot! I did a Google search. It's in the page referenced by the footnote in the 37th hit. If I could find it, so can you.
GS: (good Samaritan) You need to rebuild the engine to add a radio. M: Rebuild the engine? P: You're an idiot!
GS: There's a how-to. It's written for a "Hat", but it's mostly correct except that engine is in the rear. It's translated from German, but they did a pretty good job. It'll tell you to hook the radio to the red and black wires, but since you've got a Debian, there won't be any red and black wires. And you still need to write the radio driver. Don't forget to regrind the camshaft. If you don't, you'll get an error message that you don't have permission to change the tire pressure, but it's the camshaft. You'll need a lot of tools, but you can get them for free. Most of them come with instructions... about 900 pages in all. Read 'em all carefully and understand 'em before you start. Should be able to figure it all out in a couple of months.
[MUCH LATER...]
M: Hey Pete, I didn't get all the stuff I needed to rebuild my engine. Can I borrow your Drake again? P: The wife has the Drake, but you can borrow the Hat.
M: This is different. Where's the steering wheel? P: That dashboard was really using a lot of gas. This has what is called a CLI. Just type CTRL-L to go left and CTRL-R to go right.
M: What about the gas and brakes? P: That's all combined into a single speed number. Just type ps | grep speed. The headings are in Klingon, but the third number is the one you want. Just divide by the speed of light to get meters/second. You'll have to parse it out, calculate the new speed and use the nice function to change the priority of the process. That changes the speed. If you had just read the manpage, I wouldn't have had to tell you all that.
M: Which manpage?....never mind... What if I need to stop in a hurry? P: Gotcha covered. There's a script for panic stops. Just type PanicStop-3.8.63278665-HAT when=now. It will ask you for a password. Enter the password and hang on cause you're gonna stop real quick. I'm really proud of the deceleration optimization routine. Be careful typing, it's case sensitive. If it gives you a cryptic error message and doesn't stop, it's probably because you forgot to add yourself to the brakes group. It's all in the manpage.
M: Which manpage?....never mind...
[MUCH, MUCH LATER....]
M: I wish I hadn't sold my Gates. At least I could drive it to town and pick up Granny.... P: You're an idiot!.....
mike r
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:46:04 UTC, Mike Ring

But it isn't...it's a tank or an armoured car and the garage gives them away....
(see "In the Beginning was the Command Line", by Neal Stephenson; a good read)
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Mike Ring wrote:

I prefer this <http://www.vbrad.com/Misc/hum_ms_cars.htm especially number 11.

grammar pedant to jump in here.
<snip>
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:40:28 +0100, Peter Twydell

be humour.
--
John

MORNINGTON CRESCENT !

Can't do that - it's Saturday.
--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

Mike
Dave Plowman wrote:

I would have pointed that out, but thought it would show him up rather badly.
In fact, the only Kosher reply would have been Golders Green.

geoff

geoff wrote:

Marble Arch. The initials make the point.
Gnube wrote:

Berkeley square. The initials make the point.

Have you seen some of the suits they wear on the NBC channel ?
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com