O.T. Windows Live Mail

I know that there are a lot of computer savvy people here so hopefully someone can help I was stupid enough to install Windows Live Mail on my Windows 7 Home system and now cannot get totally rid of it. In Resource Monitor I can see Hundreds of entries under svchost.exe (secsvcs) reading the hard disc thousands of bytes per second. This eats up a large chunk of memory and slows the computer to a crawl. How can I rid myself of this awful program.

TIA Iain

Reply to
Iain

Huge

Reply to
The Nomad

I've got WLM on my Win 7 machine but I don't get the problems you're describing - are you SURE it's WLM causing them?

Reply to
Pete

This eats

Ubun..... ... ;-)

Download and run 'Process Explorer' from

the left hand tree, expand 'winint.exe/services.exe' and you'll see a list of 'svchost.exe' processes among others. It's possible to see how much CPU & memory each (if you add columns to the table) of these is guzzling, and also hovering with the mouse you can identify the name of the processes, or program executable.

Reply to
Adrian C

Doesn't sound like WLM (I use it - never done this to me). Did you also install one of the many Windows search programs at the same time? If so then it is probably indexing your entire hard drive in order to make searching faster.

Alternatively, apparently Windows Media Centre Services also trawl your drive presumably looking for MP3, video clips etc to add to your "library". Do a quick "Google" for "secsvcs" and there are plenty of hits for you to read and check against what you are seeing.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

svchost processes are ones started by services (control panel, admin tools, services), and nothing to do with Windows Live mail. Check for malware or crap you have installed.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Take another look and see if it definitely is svchost, as I have a faint recollection that there is a virus or trojan out there that uses a very similar name so that people think that it is svchost that they are seeing.

SteveW

Steve Walker

svchost covers many things - it's just the service wrapper.

Reply to
Clive George

I know that, but there was definitely something a while ago with a very similar name, deliberately so that people looking what tasks were running would not look too closely and would miss it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

As said, probably not WLM. Run "services.msc" (or find it under control panel/admin tools) and go thru and set the start up type to Disabled for "Superfetch". This damn silly thing is usually responsible for endless disc thrashing. While there you can prune out other things you don't need. "Themes" can go if you don't want the silly graphics. I've got 16 standard services disabled on this Netbook and it often spins the drive down (almost unheard of in standard Vista/7 systems!)

Scott

Reply to
Scott M