Noisy pipes when filling CW tank

I have noticed that the 15mm mains feed to my cold water tank is pretty damn noisy when the tank is filling up. The mains run is quite long from the basement up to the loft where the CW tank is & has a fair few bends in it on its way to the loft. I`m wondering however if its actually the filling valve to the CW tank which is actually the noisy part (cheepest, shittest valve installed by a plumber I had round once). The tank is fully lagged in the loft & I can still hear it ! If I replaced the valve on the tank would this stop the 'rushing' noise in the pipes? Ideally I want something that isn`t going to restrict the flow as the tank will need to fill quickly when the power shower is on for instance.

Steve

Reply to
steve

You should find that a Torbeck valve will help quite a bit. It won't stop pipe noise but may reduce it, and will certainly help where noise is being generated at the valve.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy, Would the Screwfix one below be suitable for the CW tank (I notice it's for a cistern)?

steve

Yes. You're going to want the side entry one that you have suggested. They come with flow reducers - the little inserts in the bottom of the picture. Basically these are s spiral insert which pushes into the back of the valve before fitting the tank connector nut. At very low pressures, none is used, at slightly higher pressures there is a low pressure one, and then there is a high pressure one.

Before you start, I would run your shower for its typical time and see how much the water level in the tank drops. You could also measure the rate into the tank by filling a measured container and timing. Then you have a benchmark.

When you fit the Torbeck, you can then play around with the different flow restrictors and pick one that is suitable. Generally the flow rate is good anyway, so it is a case of trying and seeing. If the pressure is very high and you don't have a flow restrictor, you may find a tendency for a water hammer from the valve. You can also cut a piece off of the flow restrictor if you want something in between.

One other point if you haven't used a plastic valve before. Take care that you don't cross-thread when you put on the tank connector nut. make sure that the fitting is square on and that the fibre washer is in place and then put on the nut very carefully. If it doesn't turn easily, don't force it, relocate and try again.