noisy storage tank filling

When our cold water storage tank in the loft fills up it makes a dreadful fluttering noise somewhat like a steam train. The tank only feeds the hot cylinder and is directly above the bathroom. If you use the cold tap in the bathroom, or anywhere else in the house for that matter, there is no noise generated through the pipe work whether the taps are running slow or fast. This is the same pipe work that leads up through the ceiling to feed the tank. I changed the washer in the ball valve, thinking that it may not be shutting off properly, this didn't do anything. I changed the ball valve for another, although not new one, still nothing. What could be causing the fluttering? Unsupported pipe work? I can't vouch for the pipe work running up the bathroom wall as it is boxed in and in place before we bought the house. Could it be to strong a water pressure going to the ball valve? Is there any advantage to trying one of the Torvec(sp?) type valves instead of the ball valve? Any thought appreciated as we would like to rid our house of the "Flying Scotsman" TIA. Simon

-- snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk take off your trousers to e-mail me

Reply to
simon beer

It's not so much a fault in the valve, but a fault of the whole system. The valve is turning on and off in response to some disturbance, which amplifies the disturbance in some way, and hence noise.

The 'nuclear option' would be a device intended to stop water hammer, Which is a little (1l or so) container with a pipe in and out, and a

0.5l or so bladder filled with air inside.

Replacing the valve may help, or may not, as you've found. Turning down any stop-c*ck in series with the cold feed may also work. "fluttering noise". I wonder if this is not pipework, but the water in the tank sloshing around and pushing the ball-c*ck up and down. Observe it as it fills. If it is sloshing around, then the above device would not help, but you need to stop it in some way. My first cut would be to take a 3l coke bottle, cut off the bottom. Now, slice the top so that it can be mounted over the valve and not interfere with the float. This will stop it sloshing.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

snip

Do you mean make some form of tube for the water to flow into the tank below the water line?

Reply to
simon beer

Not really. Just to isolate the input, and stop it sloshing. This may not be why it's making noise. You need to go and look at the tank when it's filling, and see if the filling is causing the float to bob up and down. If it's not, then there is some other cause.

Reply to
Ian Stirling