Noisy pipes!

Hi,

Recently my heating pipes under the floor upstairs in my house have been making very loud noises, rattling around and generally sounding like a train is coming down them! This happens first thing in the morning mainly but occasionally in the evenings. Both times are when the boiler comes on to heat the tank. I havent got the heating on at the moment as it is summer! so I am confused why the heating pipes would be making that noise?

I thought it may be air in the system so I have tried to bleed the radiators but there was no air and all seems fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Thomarse

We started getting a loud bang-bang-bang-bang sound whenever the boiler came on. Although the sound seemed to come from the pipes it turned out that the flue had come apart in the loft and it was the boiler's interrupted combustion doing it..

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

One common cause of this is that the boiler has got scaled up, or clogged with sludge circulating in the water. This makes the process by which heat is transferred from the buring gas to the water inefficient, the boiler heats up too much, bits inside it expand rapidly, which makes a noise that transmits along the pipework. You can get stuff to clean the boiler out - fernox make various products for this purpose. A search of the google archive for this group will find you loads of posts on the topic.

Cheer!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath