No more filament bulbs

There is, however, an apparent infinite supply of smartarses. What a pity there is no use for them.

Reply to
Huge

Dimmers are actually highly efficient. All the ones I have do a very good job of controlling the brightness of the lamps they control.

There is a bit of a clue in the name you know - it's called a "dimmer" switch not at "energy saver" switch. The purpose is to control the brightness of the light not its energy consumption.

Reply to
John Rumm

Just tap the handset receiver bar at the correct tempo! It's (used to be) a good 'party trick!

tap-tap-tap ...... tap-tap-tap-tap ..... etc. ....brrr-brr.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for that. I'll take a closer look now.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

There are temperature problems as well? :0)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

So why do the guvmint employ whips, if it is a democracy?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And more ... ;-)

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thank the uniselectors for the '..... ' and boredom / laziness for the 'etc' We used to tap the pulses for internal three-digit Automatic exchange internal numbers . Full umpteen digit STD numbers ? ...

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Once our toilet light is on (when the sun sets) it's on until the sun rises.

We have no say in ANYTHING.

Democracy?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Are you in Leeds?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not so mad then.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No, I can't be alone in not having such a security light, a dimmer or being concerned about candle bulbs.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You know, maths isn't my strongest asset but even I can't work the sum of

49p + 17.5% to come to £11.33 ...

Although I suppose it depends on what the value of 49p is ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Fixing typo

Reply to
Matt

That wouldn't work in STD days, however before STD ...

You could tap out the local dialling code to an adjacent exchange, and from there you could tap out, it's local dialling code to an adjacent exchange ... USW, USW, USW.

IE Leeds > Cleckheaton > Brighouse > Huddersfield > Slaithwaite >

Marsden > Oldham > Chadderton > Manchester > {Local Number]

Not a nec. a working example BTW.

Allegedly the eagle eared engineers in the exchange could detect the abnormal dialling cadence (In amongst the racket of say 400 other calls being dialled at 10 PPS, so they say), and get a trace on you.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In article , David Hansen writes

I walked to the station this morning and counted 8 security lights with filament bulbs - you know the bulkhead or carriage lamp with PIR type and a further 26 front door/outside lights none of which could take a CFL. I didn't observe any with a CFL or which could readily take a CFL.

At my Church I have changed every bulb I can to CFL, but there are still about 25 spot lights which I can't replace the standard PAR(something) with a CFL and get the same effect, nor the three bulkhead based PIR security lights - I tried and it went phut and sulked until it had a real bulb!

I am very happy to try and recycle, to save energy, to use timeswitches, but why force me to use a bulb which "probably" costs more energy to make AND recycle than a cheapo one?

Reply to
John

AAMOI, how do you know they couldn't take a CFL? Is it an electrical or a mechanical problem? We have two such lights (PIR-operated bulkhead lights), different designs, and I fitted them both with CFLs a couple of years ago, no problem.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I realistically can't see filament lamps being replaced in the near future for such applications as theatrical spots, floods and so on, which require almost instantaneous turn-on (stage dimmer packs use pre-heat to keep the lamp 'almost' on until it's required). LED lamps approaching anywhere near 1 or 2 kW 'equivalence' are surely a long way off. How dimmable (properly) are LEDs?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

But they do allow you to vary the lighting depending upon your requirements of the moment, such as when entering our children's bedroom when one of them wakes at night and only putting on a dim light, enough to see by, without waking the other child or for mood lighting.

We use CFLs in our living-room wall lights, but can't in the centre lights

- the fittings have a clearance of only about 12mm from the top of a standard candle bulb (the bulb has to be angled to get it in) and candle CFLs are quite a bit longer. We do however mainly use just the wall lights, but if we can no longer get bulbs for the centre lights, we will have to spend hundreds of pounds replacing all the existing fittings - incidentally losing a design that we particularly like.

Steve W

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Might have been triac operated. The CFL load would cause latching and triggering problems.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell