No more filament bulbs

On 16 Mar 2007 08:49:05 -0700, "Mark Carver" mused:

I hate reading comments like this. Why ffs. Red\black\brown\pink\orange.... As long as it's the right size etc.... Brown\blue was available before part p etc....

Reply to
Lurch

Because they are generally of the carriage lamp style and a normal filament bulb goes up to the top of the glass and you can see the bulb holder at the bottom. A CFL's ballast would fit but the effect would be to move the lamp higher up - most of them do not appear to have very much room above the top of the bulb. For the bulkheads, they are the older squat type and when on you can see that the bulb is right against the screw holding on the cover.

However I am interested in people saying that the newer CFLs may work in PIR controlled lights - how can I tell whether the CFL and fitting are compatible.

Reply to
John

and most modern accessories are date stamped...

Reply to
John Rumm

What can I say? I fitted CFLs into all my existing bulkheads (counting: seven of them) and that was a few years ago. CFLs have shrunk quite a lot since then. For instance the 11W CFL that I have in my hand is 99 mm long overall. I can't tell you what the length of a normal incandescent bulb is but I think it's probably about the same as that.

Dunno. Try it? You can bet that as soon as incandescents are in danger of disappearing from the shelves, CFL compatibility will become apparent on the box. As for existing fittings, just try it. I'm not aware of any dangers. If there are any dangers, someone will be along soon to put me right, I'm sure.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

When I was at my first job with GEC Sensors, there was one engineering department that got the hump when one of the bean counters put a call bar on the phone number for the local squash courts, when he noticed it turn up regularly on the phone logs. So the engineers worked out a way you could use the GEC internal phone network (which as far as phone networks go, is vast), to dial through from one bit of the empire to another to see if they could get an outside line from there. Eventually they found a route but it had to go through several different companies to get there.

A month or so later the bean counter paid the boss of the department a visit, since he had eventually spotted these 30 odd digit numbers and work out what they did. He told him all about what was going on, and then asked what he was going to do about it. The boss (a good humoured Welshman) said he was going to go and congratulate the engineers concerned on the grounds that they were showing exactly the type of inventive thinking that the company needed, and an extra local phone call was a small price to pay out of a project budget of millions!

Reply to
John Rumm

PIR controlled lights are not usually that much of a problem, unless it is the type designed to replace an ordinary switch position with no neutral connection. (hence needs to pass some current through the bulb to run its own electronics)

Reply to
John Rumm

[snip]

:-)

Would that be in the 70's? Companies were lovely places to work in then.... a right little Butlins some of them, especially those on the gravy train known as 'cost plus' military contracts.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Na, I would have been at school then ;-)

This was probably '88, '89 something like that.

This probably was the tail end of a big MoD contract - not sure how it was funded though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Sounds very similar to where I worked at, a few years ago (more than about 15.)

On site were various places to make an outside call from a pay call box. But, it turned out, that it was costing the company far more than letting them use the phone on their desk to make a call. Result was every one used their local desk phone.

15 or 20 years ago, my overheads to employ me were about £1-00 a minute, so you can see how cost effective it could be.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They might be a better deterrent but not necessarily a sound environmental solution. The 60W PIR light outside our door is on for about 2 to 3 minutes at a time every hour or so. To satisfy the environmentalists I'll have to replace it with a 11W CFL running continuously for several hours per night. I suppose it makes sense to the politicians.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Of course.

It will come in a plastic blister pack because it's a high priced item, whereas the filament bulb will come in a cardboard box.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:17:26 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm wrote this:-

In what location do you have lamps at -10C?

Reply to
David Hansen

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 20:22:50 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Noting in

that suits?

Reply to
David Hansen

Above my front door - but only when it's -10 outside.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

My fridge...

or outside in the winter some days (of half the year in some countries)

Reply to
John Rumm

er - I implied that I wasn't worried about them :-)

The existing ones don't look like candles ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What makes you think that?

If it's true, how much more energy does it take?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mood lighting?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, but that sounds like The Voice of Reason ... you can't expect folk to agree with it. They'll say you've been got at, brainwashed by the Green Police or somesuch :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its very possible for outside lights in this country.

I've seen -15C on occasions.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher