No more filament bulbs

Depends how old you are.

It's all right for us oldies, but imagine some one aged 15 doing that. What filament lamps would he hoard?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 18:53:59 +0000 someone who may be John wrote this:-

I doubt if linear halogen lights will be eradicated in the short term. However, low powered dusk to dawn lights are better at deterring criminals.

Very inefficient. Dimmed bulbs consume nearly as much electricity as undimmed ones.

and the like won't fit?

Ask your council.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:24:20 +0000 someone who may be Dave wrote this:-

That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on periods.

UK ministers go along to EU bodies and participate in the decision making process. They then come back to the UK and claim that the decision is nothing to do with them but was forced on them by the nasty wasty EU. Some people believe those lies.

Reply to
David Hansen

|!On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:24:20 +0000 someone who may be Dave |! wrote this:- |! |!>Low energy lamps are not recommended for these uses. They do not like |!>short illumination. |! |!That was the case in the early 1980s, when these bulbs were |!introduced to the public. However, engineering has advanced since |!then and there are models that cope with reasonably short on |!periods. |! |!>Who is this EU that dictates to us, without our 'democratically' elected |!>MPs voting on a yes or no. |! |!UK ministers go along to EU bodies and participate in the decision |!making process. They then come back to the UK and claim that the |!decision is nothing to do with them but was forced on them by the |!nasty wasty EU. Some people believe those lies.

The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted"

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:02:23 +0000 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop wrote this:-

Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and the town hall.

Reply to
David Hansen

Probably true.

Aesthetic requirement. Customer requirements are not all about efficiency.

Visually, no.

Tried that. Not interested.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have been serially astonished at the speed with which the following products disappeared from the mainstream; Betamax, LPs, CRT TVs and VHS. Doubtless there are more.

I intend to start stocking up on the weird sizes and wattages of light bulbs, starting now.

Reply to
Huge

What about lava lamps?

Reply to
LSR

I guess you'll be required to fit a CFL and a heating element. To shield the CFL from the element you'll need a dual pane glass insulating unit, argon filled to meet BS 17459268949475483 for Lava Lamps. This may only be fitted by an approved Fensa registered fitter with the extra Lava module NVQ. The result will be lava lamps now cost =A3150 and up. Oh, and energy efficiency is precisely the same.

And since the glass insulator seals are found to split in time, the glass filling with nesting insects, you'll have to have your glass insulating device replaced every 4 years at a cost of =A3149.95.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Carnsill tax weekly evaluation. Once they get rid of cash they will be able to watch everything you buy anyway.

Reply to
mogga

I think I might buy a spare dial for the telephone while I'm at it. The impulsing can go out of spec after the first seventy years or so.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or you could buy a new one from Ikea for 49p ( + VAT = £11.33)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You are probably better informed than I.

Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result of a democratic voting process ?

The ones I look at are usually just stamped "Done in Brussels" (doesn't give much away, that) and countersigned by Belgian bureaucrat.

"Done in Leeds"

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

... and in parentheses.... (and you have been)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Lava you than me....

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have a spare dial, if you want one...

Actually I have about 20 spare dials.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:09:03 +0000 someone who may be Derek Geldard wrote this:-

Many things emanating from the EU have been the result of consensus. If one country objects then it doesn't happen. That is what is called a veto and it is something the Mad Woman of Finchley bleated about often.

As the EU became larger so this would have meant paralysis. As a result for many decisions a change was made to a weighted form of majority voting, much to the disgust of certain groups of party politicians. That is the position at the moment.

Are these voting systems democratic? Depends what one means. They are certainly a lot more democratic than a system where Mr Liar has a large majority in the Westminster parliament despite less than 20% of those eligible to vote voting for his political party.

Reply to
David Hansen

Actually, I have about 20 spare telephones...

Thanks anyway.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

|!On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:34:14 +0000, David Hansen |! wrote: |! |!>On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:02:23 +0000 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop |!> wrote this:- |!>

|!>>The EU has a voting system. I have been as a delegate in such a system |!>>and had say to my people "Sorry, I voted against, but I was outvoted" |!>

|!>Indeed. Voting systems also exist in the Westminster parliament and |!>the town hall. |! |!You are probably better informed than I. |! |!Are all these countless directives emanating from Brussels the result |!of a democratic voting process ?

Urban legends!

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Can you recommend one that will cope with short illumination periods, give 100% output from switch on, and work down to -10 dec C?

Reply to
John Rumm