News Individual.Net Problems

I paid a fiver for a few gigs of data from usenet-news about 18months ago. Still got almost 3 gigs so at this rate I'll be needing more in

2011. Another fiver...
Reply to
Alang

What principle is that?

Reply to
middlelight

What principle exactly? Do you expect everything to be free?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I gladly pay to support News.Individual.NET, also out of principle. We don't want to be left with no alternative to Google Groups in a few years from now.

Reply to
Steve Walker

That I'd not want to pay to read the screeds of s**te that often get posted here - not when I can get it for free!

Reply to
Sofa - Spud

Very nice but NiN aren't doing it out of principle if they don't turn a profit they shut.

Reply to
Sofa - Spud

So how do motzarella do it?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Barker's stuff has to be worth a few quid for entertainment value alone. :)

Reply to
middlelight

NiN started as a university backed service subsidised by the German government. It's still run by the university AFAIAA but I believe the government subsidy stopped which is why they started charging. I used the server until charges were introduced. It was only the difficulty in paying that stopped me continuing with them. Had to use paypal and that is an organisation I avoid like the plague. Went over to Usenet-news instead .

Reply to
Alang

What's wrong with PayPal?

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

I have heard too many horror stories about them. They were also not resident in the UK. Makes it very difficult to get any action against them in court. I will only use credit card online. The standard of protection is much greater

Reply to
Alang

About what? PayPal is owned by eBay - I can't think they would allow themselves to be compromised.

Billions of people use them every day, including me, with no problem.

Ian

Reply to
Ian F.

Why not use PayPal backed by a credit card? Best of both worlds.

Reply to
middlelight

Try searching on google. There are loads of links to people being ripped off. And Ebay is not the most consumer friendly business

Reply to
Alang

Hop on over to uk.legal.moderated - "Credit Card Protection for Wedding Reception Deposit" (and previous discussions).

Reply to
Rod

At a guess, this tells you that when the CC transaction is not with a retailer, but with someone acting as a financial agent for a retailer, the Consumer Credit Act safeguards don't apply. A colleague at work had a problem of this nature involving Nochex and an online retailer that went bust. So CC via Paypal isn't going to get you any CCA74 protection, I suspect.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Because pay pal appear to be sharp to the point of not being trustworthy

Reply to
Alang

Perhaps he just expects usenet to be free. And why not, it always has been.

Reply to
Froot Bat

At the point of use, perhaps. It was held together, until ISPs, etc., started to bundle it, by enthusiasts that built their news servers out of odd spares, and hid their news servers from their bosses. For a while, I was one of them, and I know of two people still doing it.

So, let's get this straight. You don't think ISPs should provide news servers because it isn't their job to do that, and you want a news service for free. Exactly where is that going to come from? It may not be costing _you_ any money, but it'll be costing someone.

Reply to
Sam Nelson

Not really. I've been using it for 27 years, and someone has always had to pay something in all that time. Mainly my employer...who actually sold Usenet services to the UK years ago.

Reply to
Bob Eager