Metclips fence fixings - stupid question

How do I use the u-shaped metclips?

The posts are already in position. If I fix the metclips to the posts I can't put the fence panel in. If I fix the metclips to the fence panels I can't nail the clips to the posts.

I'm obviously missing a trick here...

Pete

Reply to
PM

Bend open one side of the clips so you can insert the panel from the side? Drop the panels down from above as you would if you were fitting slotted concrete posts?

David

Reply to
Lobster

I don't know what the correct method is. I tried unbending the clip, then bending it again afterwards with a hammer, but that didn't work very well. I ended up sliding the panel in vertically, which is quite difficult when it's windy.

Reply to
Simon

Fix clips to posts. Put up one post, then a panel, then a post etc... Obviously too late now if your posts are already up - you'll have to slide the panels in from the top, or bend the clips open on one side.

There are alternative clips availabel that make this easier to do :

Phil

Never used U clips only Z clips from Wickes and I screw them it. Much easier!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Fasten the bottom clip in firmly. Fasten the top one so it can rotate slightly. Slide the panel into the top one from below, tilting the clip so the panel will fit in with the panel at an angle. When the panel is above the bottom clip, pivot the panel so it is vertical. Drop the panel into the lower clip and position as required, preferably not on the potentially damp ground, otherwise you'll be repeating the exercise in a couple or three years. (Ditto, keeping the wood posts away from the damp ground)

Reply to
John Weston

Bending is out cos they are quite thick steel. I can't drop the panels down because the fit is very tight. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Pete

Reply to
PM

Can't do that anyway - the clips are only just big enough to squeeze round the fence panel.

Reply to
PM

other?

Reply to
PM

The clips I've got will only just push onto the fence panel...I might try your method using bigger clips. Thanks

Pete

Reply to
PM

Have you definitely got the right clips for the size of fence panel? (been there, done that!)

There's definitely different sizes available.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Have a look at

4 picture F.

These are the only fence clips I've ever used, easy to fix, especially with screws.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Definitely? No. Probably? No. :-)

Reply to
PM

That looks easier...I'll try and get hold of some! Cheers Dave

Reply to
PM