Metal cover for Cupola centre

One bathroom and the top landing are lit by roof-lights which rise to a box (one rectangular, one square) which have small pitched roofs. These are wooden, currently covered in two layers of roof felt ( the square one is a about 1 foot square, the rectangular is about a foot by 2' 6").

I would like to cover these in metal - they might once have been covered in lead. Any suggestions of what kind of metal: sheet zinc? or should I go for lead (I'm a bit edgy about the weight - these are original to the house in

1897)?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

a foot square of lead is not that much, but yes, zinc, copper lead..whatever!

Copper takes some beating - literally.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Doesnt copper also stop groth of moss etc as well? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If it has to be 'formed' round lots of things, lead is the easiest. If something you could pre-fabricate in the workshop, zinc is pretty easy to work and solder. Copper is nice, but very expensive.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An old hot water cylinder might provide enough sheet though?

Reply to
newshound

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :

It certainly does and very effective it is too. I put a couple of stripped 2.5mm T&E wires across my 24' x 12' across my garage roof at the highest point a couple of years ago. Its a flat/ gently sloping corrugated roof and the drainage of the sheets was constantly getting blocked, over flowing the panel joints. The minute trace of copper cleared it completely and no more ingress.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What a lot of interesting ideas - thanks very much.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson