"Manners maketh man" A short tale.

Hello all.

I again went to Maplin; in Parkway, NW London, today. Walking along Camden Road, I noticed that one of 2 Asian female teenagers was brushing against everyone as she passed by. Now, Camden Road has wide pavements and there weren't all that many people there at the time. I was annoyed at that lack of good manners. I managed to catch up with them, and remonstrated with them (I did ask if they spoke English). They just looked at me, and said nothing. And they then went on their way. Camden Road has a large Sainsbury's, and I went in to buy a few things. On the way out, I decided to sit down as my legs were aching. There are only 2 seats there (too few). One seat was occupied by a young boy, and the other one had a middle-aged African woman's shopping bags on it. As she made no attempt to move them, I asked her to do so. She replied "In a minute". I asked her to move them at once. There followed an angry exchange of words with that person trying to "browbeat" me. Unfortunately for her, that never works with me. In the meantime, the young boy had vacated his seat; for which I thanked him. The woman went on her way still talking angrily. In Camden Road station, a young Black man was sitting in the sheltered area, and had 2 parcels on the seat next to him. As soon as he saw me approach, he removed these parcels, which allowed me to sit down.

End of tale.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

The moral being what: women are bloody rude to you but blokes aren't?

David

Reply to
Lobster

the moral being you can't tar everybody with the same brush

Reply to
fido

This is only a 2-hour experience, so your remarks don't apply in this case. However, since their emancipation, women have become more assertive and _ruder_. They are also less considerate and courteous. How old are you? If you're still relatively young, I won't expect you to know or understand what I'm talking about (the _general_ difference between today's women, and yesterday's women ).

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

There is no moral, but your reply is a more understanding one than Lobster's. Please read my reply to him.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

I don't get it...uk.-d-i-y? Was it the bit at the start about Maplin?

AL

Reply to
Al M

The real morale being that you want to post your politics here - this has NOTHING to do with DIY - take it elsewhere.

Reply to
Osprey

If there weren't _many_ other off-topic messages, you might have a point. Why pick on me? You haven't "pulled up" anyone else, as far as I know. My experience with news groups is that they can be _boring_ without a certain amount of off-topic material.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Sorry about that. I should have stated that it was off topic (I usually do). There are 2 good things about this group in my opinion: the quite large number of helpful well-informed people, and the the number of interesting off-topic messages. I apologise if you don't find my own off-topic messages interesting. I do _try_ to answer DIY questions if I can.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

It's because they're metric - as opposed to the older, imperial woman. However, I believe you can get an adapter....

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Or to put it anothewr way:

Hello all.

I again went to Maplin; in Parkway, NW London, today. Walking along Camden Road, I noticed that one of 2 female teenagers was brushing against everyone as she passed by. Now, Camden Road has wide pavements and there weren't all that many people there at the time. I was annoyed at that lack of good manners. I managed to catch up with them, and remonstrated with them (I did ask if they spoke English). They just looked at me, and said nothing. And they then went on their way. Camden Road has a large Sainsbury's, and I went in to buy a few things. On the way out, I decided to sit down as my legs were aching. There are only 2 seats there (too few). One seat was occupied by a young boy, and the other one had a middle-aged woman's shopping bags on it. As she made no attempt to move them, I asked her to do so. She replied "In a minute". I asked her to move them at once. There followed an angry exchange of words with that person trying to "browbeat" me. Unfortunately for her, that never works with me. In the meantime, the young boy had vacated his seat; for which I thanked him. The woman went on her way still talking angrily. In Camden Road station, a young man was sitting in the sheltered area, and had 2 parcels on the seat next to him. As soon as he saw me approach, he removed these parcels, which allowed me to sit down.

End of tale.

Sylvain.

unnecessary words chopped from the original:

Asian. African. Black.

They have no bearing on the story, so why include them?...unless this is a blatant troll?

Reply to
Phil L

Quite, a point well made.

HLAH

It was rather the point I was making myself in my original reply... David

Reply to
Lobster

Spend a week in New York and then come back and see us!

Reply to
Homer2911

Spend a week in New York and then come back and see us!

Reply to
Homer2911

Yeah but he made it better than you ;-)

HLAH

These damn foreigners - nothing but trouble - send 'em all back home - to Holland.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was being serious. Never mind, I did send that message as I was interested in the group members' comments; which include yours, of course.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Do I detect a veiled insult, here. :) For your info: I was born in Paris in 1935. I lived in France until I was

12-13 years old. Came to Britain in 1947, and attended a Secondary Modern school until the age of 15. I did my National Service in the British army (R.E.M.E) in 1954-1956. My father was a Sergeant in the British army (Pioneer Corps) during WWII, where he spent several years of his life. He became a naturalised citizen of the UK, and I am a registered citizen of the UK. Which means that we were/are British by CHOICE, and not by ACCIDENT. How's that? P.S. Yes, I know that the name is Dutch; but many of us are "mongrels", aren't we?

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

A ridiculous point; having jumped to a wrong conclusion. Read my reply to him.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE