Mains powered screwdrivers

Think the OP said he was in the same place.

When decking, Desmond & I tend to use the mains one near the power supply and the battery one further away, so it works out OK, not too much moving cables out of the way.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Desmond Decker?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Normally it's battery power ... or pneumatic for repetitive work

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I have an old Hitachi 12-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless Drill/Driver as usual when the battery died it was cheaper to buy a new drill, so it sits on my work bench powered by an even older CB power supply, never need charging and always ready for a quick screw !

-
Reply to
Mark

Indeed. I'm known as 'Black Hand'.

If my son in law helps, we call him 'Double'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And what he is very good at is rail heights.

Reply to
polygonum

's a tough life being a handyman.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir, So that every mouth can be fed.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can buy them. Before I went cordless I just used a regular mains drill.= It was a godsend compared to hand screwing, but they're large, bulky, they= demand 2 hands and speed/movement control is poor. It takes a little skill= to deal with the control issue, easy enough to learn but some people never= do.

That's one reason I was slow to go cordless. But they're relatively light, = small, highly controllable, and much more convenient.

20-30A, so an impressive wallwart :) Using a lead acid battery on a lead is= another option.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This of any use to you?

Cordless Power Tool Conversion 18VDC to 120/240VAC

Richard

As long as it's not a Shanty Town.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

My old B&D mains hammer drill has a variable speed control in the trigger, slow start, and a torque setting dial on top. Choice of two speeds, and reversable as well. So it is well equipped for driving screws.

However as others have said it is heavy, bulky and really needs two hands holding it for accurate screwdriving.

I haven't used it for screwdriving much since I got my 18V Makita cordless drill/driver (ISTR I used it to finish off some very difficult screws when the battery screwdriver botttled out). My new impact driver is even nicer to use - much lighter and more compact.

So in answer to your main question - you might want to charge batteries because you have several and the battery driver is lighter and easier to use than the mains powered one.

Bodging a battery powered drill to use mains doesn't seem a particularly efficient way of doing things. Converting a battery powered drill to use a larger (car?) battery might be a goer for a 12V drill/driver, but again you lose the flexibility of a cordless device.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts